29

"What? Whattt?" Dallas dragged out, as he stepped outside and took the cigarette from my hands.  

"She's gonna go wherever Ponyboy and Johnny are.  She's gonna bring them some things, and stay there until you go back up where ever they are to check on them." Darry told him. 

Dallas let out a loud booming laugh for a minute, then stopped. 

"Wait," Dallas paused for a moment, "You're being serious?! No way, man."

"Why not?" I asked him. 

"It's stupid! It's a stupid idea.  You don't need to be dragged into this mess.  I mean, the cops were just here asking us questions about them.  I think you should just wait till things cool off, like we discussed." Dallas huffed, and shook his head. 

"I'm already in this mess, Dal. Besides, they might need something... like food... or a blanket.. or cigarettes." I pleaded with him. 

Dallas ran his hand over his face, clearly annoyed by the idea. 

He stared off into the street for a second, as he thought. 

Dallas took one last drag from the cigarette, before he tossed the rest off of the porch. 

"Whatever, you're gonna do what you want regardless of what I say.  I don't even know why you bothered asking me." Dallas scuffed. 

"Oh, please," I chuckled, "you act like you wouldn't have done the same thing."

Dallas cracked a small smile, as he put his hand on my lower back. 

"Alright, I'm driving you there later, then." He said. 

"Why? I was just gonna take the bus or hitchhike." I asked. 

"You don't know where to go even.  Besides, I like to drive.  I'll take one of Buck's cars." He smiled. 

Darry looked at Dallas for a minute. 

"Watch your hands there." Darry warned him, before he opened the door to go inside.

Dallas let out another loud laugh. 

"Or what?" Dallas teased, as we followed Darry into the house. 

...

So Darry gathered a bag of things he wanted me to bring with them. 

It was mostly food, a pack of cigarettes, and a blanket. 

I stuck a hair brush and tooth brush with some tooth paste in there too. 

As it began to get dark, Dallas went and got Buck's car. 

"Be safe out there." Darry told me, before Dallas drove us away. 

It was a peaceful drive to Windrixville. 

I hadn't really left Tulsa except for with mom and dad, and we never really went too far from home. 

It was the first time in a long time I had been away from him.  

Dallas pulled over on the side of the road aways from an old, abandoned church. 

Dallas mostly stayed quiet for the ride. 

I knew he didn't like that I was going to camp out with them, but he knew arguing with me wasn't going to change anything. 

"The door is in the back.  There's a safe pump in the back as well, for water.  Now, they ain't expecting you... so you might scare the shit out of them. Once you go in there, don't think to even stick your nose out the door until I come back here." Dallas ordered me, as he pointed to the church. 

"Yeah, I know. Man, that church looks like it's gonna blow over with the wrong gust of wind." I mumbled. 

"Well, it's better than nothing.  I mean, they could be in fucking jail right now." Dallas huffed, as he nudged the steering wheel with his knuckles.  

I grabbed my bag, and threw it over my shoulder. 

"You sure you want to do this?" Dallas asked me. 

"Yes." I told him. 

Dallas grabbed me by the front of my shirt, and pulled me in for a long kiss. 

"I'm gonna miss you." Dallas whispered to me, as he pulled away from our kiss. 

He rested his forehead on mine, and he closed his eyes. 

"I'm gonna miss you too, Dallas.  I've got to go now." I told him. 

Dallas leaned back into the driver's seat, as I stepped out of the car. 

Dallas gave me a small wave, as he drove away. 

I stood there and watched his tail lights disappear into the night, before I began walking the rest of the way to the church. 

The moonlight casted distorted, creepy shadows from the moving trees around. 

The church seemed to creak with every ouch of wind that blew. 

Man, this place sure was creepy for being a church. 

The back door let out a high pitched scream, as I slowly opened it. 

In the middle of the dirty floor, laid Johnny and Ponyboy. 

They were laying nearly on top of each other, with their jackets covering them up to try to keep warm. 

I dug the blanket out of my bag, and covered the two of them up. 

I put my bag on the ground, before I laid next to them, using it as a pillow. 

I stared up as the ceiling for a while, though I was tired it wasn't easy to fall asleep. 

Too much to think about, I guess. 

I think the only thing that calmed me down enough to fall asleep, was noting Johnny and Ponyboy were next to me... and knowing they were okay.

I slept through the night, believe it or not. 

Until I woke up abruptly, by Johnny and Ponyboy screaming.