CHAPTER 39: The right choice

Word count: 1045

●●●●●●●●●●

"Sometimes you have to write on top of what's already been written."

~

Things could really go the wrong way in a matter of minutes. Things you wish didn't happen will happen. Things you never thought you would want to stop will come your way and throw new challenges. Challenges that you may or may not be able to pass through.

The moment a soul breaks... Is the moment challenges start coming at you from everywhere... all at the same time.

Maybe it was luck, or maybe it was fate telling her to step up and change everything that was thought to be destiny. Maybe it was fate telling her to not take the easier way. The easier, yet more painful way... for others.

Would things go right? Was it worth a try? Were those reasonable questions while someone was about to get eaten alive?

Kirumi had been standing still by the wooden door for the past thirty seconds trying to make up her mind over what she should do, over what was the right thing to do.

Save a life. That's the reason the corps existed, so, the right thing...

'Guess it's time to use this...' With her left hand now on her sword and her right hand reaching into her pocket, Kirumi took a deep breath, before rushing into that freezing room.

She didn't think much after that, it was easy, she only had to take that girl off the demon's arms.

'Light breathing: Third form: Light Sprint' She took a deep breath, before sprinting up, getting closer to the demon, and once she got enough impulse, she jumped.

The ceiling seemed to get closer and closer the higher she got, and maybe... that's when she realized what she was really doing.

Upper Moon 2

She was going to fight the third strongest demon, right here, right now.

"Heh... Look what we have here~"

Kirumi turned around after leaving the girl on the ground, facing the much taller demon in front of her.

"It seems I've got myself some company... That's nice" The demon said with a smile on its face while it held the syringe Kirumi previously stabbed him with, "what's this for? It feels... weird"

"Weaken you up... Thought it would be right to test it on you, and... it seems to be working." Kirumi could feel the change in the room, the coldness of it feeling less... cold.

"Ohh, so that's what this is for... I understand now... It makes this much more exciting," the demon said, dropping the syringe on the ground and showing a pair of glistening, gold fans.

Kirumi kept her mouth shut, analyzing the place and the demon; the poison would slowly weaken him. She could give him a fight... hopefully.

'Light Breathing: Fifth form: Unseen light.'

It wouldn't be easy to defeat an upper moon, not at all, but Kirumi couldn't give up before trying. Besides... She's already debilitated him.

~

It was a couple of minutes later that the Insect Hashira joined the fight.

And now, she couldn't really complete her previous plan, the fight was having almost no breaks in between. She couldn't explain to Kirumi her plan like this. There was no time to.

But the facts right now were straight; they were fighting an upper moon, Kirumi's poison had slowly been debilitating the demon...

And they were about to be joined by someone else.

Slam.

All the attention went to the entrance of the place, where a young girl, with a butterfly hairpin, stood.

"Kanao..." Muttered the oldest girl that was present in the room.

Kirumi could notice the amusement in the demon's face, it was obvious he enjoyed fighting, which sickened her to the pit of her stomach.

But now was not the time to get distracted too, another slayer had come, meaning they had more help and more chances of winning this fight.

The girl, named Kanao, sprinted toward the Insect Hashira, waiting for any orders, anything that would give her some information worth knowing to defeat this demon.

And with a shared look, it seemed they all got the same idea.

~

It was a simple plan, the Insect and Light hashira would try injecting the demon the most they could, whilst Kanao would inflict the most damage as a distraction.

It was simple, but it definitely wasn't easy to execute.

Insect Breathing.

Light Breathing.

Flower Breathing.

Would they be enough to defeat this demon? and win one... of many battles left.

~

"I wonder if they're okay..."

The former Sound and Flame hashira looked up at the sky, thinking of the current battles that were happening at the moment.

Their presence, although not in the main battles, was of great importance, as they were protecting the Master's child, Ubuyashiki Kiriya.

~

"Aoi-san, will Kanao and Kocho-san be okay?"

Aoi looked up from the dishes she had been washing to distract herself from the current turmoil going inside her head.

"... They..." The girl cut herself off and faced the three younger girls in front of her. "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be with Senjuro-san"

"Sorry! We were just... worried."

Aoi sighed before putting on a smile on her face. "They'll be alright, I'm sure they will be." She stated, as if it was a fact, as if she wasn't doubting it herself.

"Now, let's go, we can't leave Senjuro-san alone," She said as she walked behind the younger girls.

Once reaching the door, she let out another sigh, looking out the window and the start that laid in the sky.

"... Please... Be okay..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taisho era secret

▪︎ Shinjuro left Senjuro in the butterfly mansion before heading to the Master's estate.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

FINALLYYYYY

I've done it! I've finished this chapter.

Btw, we're close to reaching 2k reads on this book, and I'm sooo thankful to all you

Yesterday I finally was able to, not only come back to write this chapter, but also to finish writing a chapter for "Beyond the Portrait" (which, btw, you could check out)

Also, just realized that the Hashira training arc's last episode will release on my birthday 💀

Should I be excited or scared? 🥲

Anyway, thanks for reading and feel free to tell me your opinions!

Byeee 👐