30

After the small argument between the siblings, they sat down with the group and Eunah began going through the notes made so far.

Donghyuck relaxed quite quickly, realising that her family is normal and without judgement. He and Miyeon are actively participating in the discussion, while Renjun is relatively quiet and only speaks when spoken to specifically.
He's clearly uncomfortable, but thankfully no one has brought it up despite noticing from the start.

"My masterpiece is complete!" Jongsu announces, bringing through two large plates of cut-up pizza.

He's wearing a fake chef hat, and takes it off to bow after placing the plates on the coffee table. This earns a slight laugh from Namgyo, Donghyuck and Miyeon, while Eunah and Siho groan in embarrassment. A flicker of a smile crosses Renjun's otherwise neutral expression, noticed by Eunah whose chest tingles with butterflies for a moment.
She looks away, instead taking a smaller plate from the stack on the table.

Everyone pauses to eat, Jongsu and Donghyuck getting along surprisingly well with shared humour. Eunah smiles, glad this is going well, and for a small moment she forgets about the inevitable conversation she'll have to have with Mark about not helping him any more.

She's on washing duty, so collects the empty plates when everyone's done and takes them back into the kitchen. After filling the sink with hot, soapy water, she's about to go back for the mugs when Renjun walks through with them in-hand.
He offered to do so, aware that he might seem rude being so quiet despite Namgyo's reassurance that it's okay.

"You okay?" Eunah hums, scrubbing one of the plates while he places the mugs next to the sink.

He nods.
"Yeah, just tired."

"You can go to bed now if you like? The spare room is already set up."

Raising his brows, he leans back against the counter and looks her way.
"Doesn't that defeat the point of me being here to research?"

She shrugs.
"Maybe a little, but we don't mind. You'll get the information either way."

"I suppose..."

"You're more than welcome to. It'll only be you and Hyuck in there, anyway."

Renjun rolls his eyes– he seems to be doing that a lot this evening.
"I still can't believe Miyeon suggested we sleep over..."

"I can't believe you agreed," she replies, breathing a slight laugh.

"Hyuck didn't want to come on his own..."

"Mhm, sure. I'll believe that."

"You think I'd lie?"

She raises a brow at him, a faint smile still on her face.
"I dunno, you're pretty secretive. Who knows what goes on in your head?"

Not me.

"You sure it's fine?"

Nodding, Eunah places the plate on the drying rack.
"I'll show you where the room is, hold on."

She dries her hands, intending to come back, and leads him out of the kitchen. On the way through the living room, she notifies her parents that Renjun is going to bed and they wish him goodnight.
Miyeon wiggles her brows, which both he and Eunah glare at before disappearing upstairs. Donghyuck gently nudges her for that one, whispering that she shouldn't suggest those things in front of Eunah's parents.

"There's an en-suite in here, so you don't need to use the main bathroom at all. If you need anything, I'm two doors down. My room is kinda obvious, with the pink sign and all, so just knock or message me and I should hear it."

Eunah turns to leave, not wanting to intrude, but pauses when he mutters her name. She hums, tilting her head in a questioning manner.
A short moment of silence follows, him already regretting having said anything.

"You sure you're okay?"
Her soft, caring tone is familiar, yet brings a strange feeling of warmth to his chest.

"Why'd you ask?"

"You're not normally this quiet. Reserved maybe, but not quiet."
She leans against the door frame with folded arms, mildly gesturing with her hand.

I wasn't aware you paid that much attention...

"I'm fine," he mumbles, busying himself by sitting on the bed and rummaging through the bag he and Donghyuck brought for their necessities.
Namgyo had taken it upstairs when she went to get Siho.

"All right. I'll be here if you need me, Jun."

"'Jun'?" he repeats, glancing her way.

In all honesty, it just kind of slipped out of her mouth. She tries to hide her slight embarrassment with a shrug.

"That's your name, isn't it?"

"I suppose."

"You suppose?"

Renjun exhales lightly, resembling a laugh, and returns his gaze to the bag.
"You know what I meant."

"No, please, tell me your real name. I'm intrigued."

"Shut up."

A chuckle falls from her pinkish lips, sweet as always, honey eyes crinkling in an affectionate smile.

Cute.

"I'll leave you be now. Is there anything you want before I go?"

He pauses, contemplating what's appropriate to say, before shaking his head.

"Okay, goodnight then."

Once she's gone and the door is closed, he lays back on the large bed– cold covers unusual to him. He sighs, closing his eyes for a moment, and wonders how in Hell he got here. One thing he does know, however, is that no matter how weird it is, he can't help feeling a little more content with Eunah around.