CHAPTER 54

Alan sat on the floor, while Pooh and I sat facing each other on the bed.

Pooh had a completely different feel from Alan. He was small and shy.

Even as I stared at him, he twisted his body as though squeezing washed clothing out.

Then he curled up, bit his lip, and looked into my eyes again and again.

I reached out to Pooh and then moved him back to his original position.

I tilted my head and tried to make eye contact with him.

Only then did Pooh, who had previously peeked and looked away, meet my gaze.

“Nong Pooh, how old are you?”

He clenched his small fist and opened it.

The trousers he was wearing had a firm collar to indicate that they had been well ironed.

Pooh hesitated before putting his palm on his lap and spreading his five fingers. He closed his eyes tightly.

“… Are you five years old?”

“Yes…”

“How many times must you ask.”

Alan cut our conversation with a blunt voice.

I gave him a harsh look. However, as usual, he didn’t care.

Despite the fact that it was the third time I asked, Pooh didn’t appear bothered at all, but Alan was in a frenzy.

“Nong Pooh, do you want to play with P'Alan?”

Pooh, who had been staring at the mattress of the bed, raised his head in response to the suggested words.

His toes curled up, and he nodded cautiously. The puffy cheeks twitched. My heart softened.

“I should have bought some cookies. Do you want me to go out and buy it for you right now? Would you like some snacks?”

“You wouldn’t be able to eat dinner if you ate cookies right now.”

It was Alan the one who gave the answer instead of Pooh.

Pooh raised his head to Alan, then lowered it again. His little fingers tapped my knee, like a fern lingering on my lap.

We didn’t even have a real chat. I asked him to play, but there was nothing I could do. He was eager to play, but he had nothing to say.

I had no idea how to play with kids. Perhaps Pooh,felt uneasy being with me. I asked him out of nowhere.

Pooh looked away for a moment, then tapped me again.

It was at that moment that Alan called him.

“Pooh.”

“…”

“Where has Mom gone?”

“Dad’s shop…”

“When will she return?”

“I don’t know…”

Pooh slowly moved toward me while answering Alan’s questions.

He had to turn his back on me in order to talk to Alan. It seemed uncomfortable to turn his head.

Pooh naturally sat down on my lap. I stiffened as a result of the slight weight on my lap.

Alan, who was seated on the floor, wrinkled his brow and walked over to the seat where Pooh had been sitting and sat down.