CHAPTER 2

Rattle, rattle.

Each ice cube tangled in the straw collided in the glass, creating a distinct sound.

I looked at the green tea latte, which was not even half empty, and then shifted my gaze to the front.

Alan used a straw to stir the ice in the cup in front of him.

There was very little orange juice left in the glass.

Alan and I were at a room cafe with flowers around that were too much for two boys to come.

Because of the strong air conditioner, I got chills under my school uniform.

I turned my head and looked around, then returned my gaze to Alan.

Alan threw the straw on the table because he couldn’t get it to stir the drink any longer.

Then he took the glass and poured the ice into his mouth.

Crunch crunch crunch.

The ice was crushed and broken on the well-kept teeth, and it eventually vanished without a trace.

I had a distinct impression that I was about to be chewed on next.

It was purely because of my fragile nature that I couldn’t turn down Alan’s offer to go for a drink.

Besides, if you look at Alan right now, no one will be able to refuse his request.

Alan was the son of Tony Hemmawich, who was tough and rough, as well as tall and strong built, as opposed to me, who only managed to reach 175 centimeters.

I was afraid to say no because he does seem to be a well-built thug.

The last reason was that Alan grabbed my wrist and strode out, waving at the roadside and grabbing a taxi before I even said anything.

I couldn’t even say no, so I hopped into the back seat of the taxi and headed downtown without saying anything to Alan.

The taxi driver looked at me through the rearview mirror, as if he was worried about me because of the physical difference.

Alan, like a real thug, said, “Hey uncle, drive well. Don’t keep staring at me,” threatening the taxi driver.

My blood began to drain from my body as soon as I heard those words, and I got goosebumps all over my body.

In an instant, the heat that had been circling inside my body disappeared.

I was afraid Alan would sell me or ask me to give up everything I had now.

Of course, all I had in my hand were 500 baht.

Contrary to my worries, Alan politely offered the taxi fare and completed the calculation.

I stood there staring at him.

Following that, Alan is the closest to where we are standing, with the crudely written ‘Full Air-conditioner! Flying with M House in the hot summer’.

We came to this room cafe where we are now seated opposite each other.

Alan, in contrast to the brightly colored petals on the sofa, seemed more like a bully up close.

He sat on the sofa with one leg crossed. His thighs were thick, so his legs were raised high.

Then he glanced at his phone for nothing and looked at me.

I quickly lowered my head when I met his gaze.

It was called a room cafe, but it had a structure with perforated ceilings.