Part 11

Private Conversation Between Draco and Professor Snape

Draco Malfoy paced nervously outside Professor Snape's office. He had seen the toll the Occlumency lessons were taking on Belladonna, and it worried him deeply. She had become increasingly withdrawn, refusing to talk about the lessons or what Snape might be seeing in her mind. Determined to get some answers, he knocked on the door.

"Enter," Snape's voice called from within.

Draco pushed the door open and stepped inside, closing it quietly behind him. Snape looked up from his desk, his expression as unreadable as ever.

"Professor Snape," Draco began, trying to keep his voice steady. "I wanted to talk to you about Bella's Occlumency lessons."

Snape raised an eyebrow, gesturing for Draco to sit. "Very well. Sit down, Mr. Malfoy."

Draco took a seat, feeling the weight of Snape's gaze. "How are the lessons going? She won't talk about them, and she seems... different. More distant."

Snape leaned back in his chair, his fingers steepled under his chin. "Miss Nightshade's progress is as expected for someone with her background. Occlumency is not an easy skill to master, especially when one's mind is burdened with... significant trauma."

Draco frowned, concern etching lines into his face. "What do you mean by significant trauma? How much do you know about her family?"

Snape's eyes narrowed slightly. "How much do you know about her family, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco hesitated, feeling a pang of guilt. "Virtually nothing, except that she has a younger sister named Hecate. She doesn't talk about her family much."

Snape studied Draco for a moment before speaking. "Miss Nightshade also has an older brother, though she does not speak of him either. Her family life is... complicated and far from pleasant."

Draco's eyes widened in surprise. "An older brother? She never mentioned him."

"It is not my place to reveal the details of what I have seen during her lessons," Snape said, his voice measured. "But suffice it to say, Miss Nightshade's home life was far from the nurturing environment you experienced."

Draco felt a lump form in his throat. "I had no idea... I always thought my family was difficult, but..."

Snape's expression softened slightly, though his tone remained stern. "You had a much nicer home life, Mr. Malfoy. Your parents, for all their faults, did not subject you to the kind of horrors Miss Nightshade has endured."

Draco's mind raced with this new information. He had always known there was something Belladonna was hiding, something dark and painful. But he had never imagined it was this severe. "What should I do?" he asked, his voice almost pleading.

Snape's eyes met Draco's, a rare moment of empathy shining through. "Be her friend. Try not to burden her with your own problems, for she has many of her own."

Draco nodded, feeling the weight of Snape's words. "Thank you, Professor. I'll do my best."

Snape inclined his head slightly. "You care for her deeply, that much is clear. Use that care to strengthen her, not to burden her further. Now, if there is nothing else..."

Draco stood, feeling a renewed sense of purpose. "Thank you, Professor Snape. I'll take your advice to heart."

Belladonna Confronts Snape

Belladonna stormed through the corridors of Hogwarts, her mind a whirlwind of anger and betrayal. She had noticed Draco's behavior had changed; he was more protective, more concerned, and it didn't take long for her to piece together that he had spoken to Snape. Fearful that Draco might have divulged information about her past, she headed straight for Snape's office, her fury mounting with each step.

She didn't bother knocking. Belladonna pushed the door open and marched inside, her eyes blazing with anger. Snape looked up from his desk, his expression darkening at the intrusion.

"Miss Nightshade," he said icily. "To what do I owe this... impromptu visit?"

"You know exactly why I'm here," Belladonna snapped, her voice trembling with rage. "Did Draco talk to you about me? Did he tell you anything?"

Snape's eyes narrowed, his demeanor growing even colder. "Mr. Malfoy did indeed speak with me, but the specifics of our conversation are none of your concern."

Belladonna's fists clenched at her sides. "None of my concern? It is my concern if he's sharing things about my past, things that are private!"

Snape stood up, his presence imposing as he leaned forward, placing his hands on his desk. "Calm yourself, Miss Nightshade. You have no right to speak to me in this manner."

The tension in the room thickened, an uncertain tension that mirrored the dynamic she had with Draco. Snape's eyes bore into hers, his dominance clear. "You are letting your emotions cloud your judgment," he continued, his voice low and commanding. "Get a hold of yourself."

Belladonna felt a shiver run down her spine, a mix of fear and defiance surging through her. "I have every right to know if you're sharing my secrets!"

Snape's gaze hardened further, his tone unyielding. "Your secrets are your own, and they remain so. Mr. Malfoy knows very little, and I have shared nothing specific from our sessions. You will not question my integrity or my methods."

Belladonna took a step back, her anger faltering under Snape's intense scrutiny. "But why did you tell him anything at all?"

"Because he is concerned for you," Snape replied, his voice like ice. "He needed to understand the gravity of your situation to support you properly. You should be grateful to have someone who cares for you so deeply, despite your abhorrent behavior."

Belladonna's defiance wavered, replaced by confusion and guilt. "I... I didn't know. I thought..."

"You thought wrong," Snape interrupted, his tone softening slightly but still firm. "You must learn to trust those who have proven themselves worthy of it. Mr. Malfoy is one of those people. As am I."

The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of Snape's words sinking in. Belladonna felt a mix of shame and relief, her emotions raw and turbulent. "I'm sorry, Professor. I just... It's painful."

Snape's expression softened, though his eyes remained sharp. "Painful though it may be, hiding from it will only make it worse. You are stronger than you realize, Miss Nightshade. But you must learn to control your emotions and trust in those who are here to help you."

Belladonna nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "I understand. Thank you, Professor."

"See that you do," Snape replied, his tone returning to its usual sternness. "And remember, our lessons are meant to strengthen you. Trust in the process and in those who support you."

With a final nod, Belladonna turned and left the office, her emotions still raw but her resolve strengthened. She knew now that Draco hadn't betrayed her, and she felt a renewed sense of determination to face her past and her future with the support of those who cared for her.

Snape's Internal Conflict

As the door closed behind her, Snape sat back in his chair, his mind churning. Belladonna Nightshade was unlike any student he had ever encountered. Her strength, her defiance, her vulnerability—they all stirred something within him that he was not ready to confront.

He chastised himself for the flicker of feelings he felt. She was his student, and his role was to protect and guide her, not to indulge in inappropriate emotions. But he couldn't deny the growing admiration and concern he felt for her.

Snape shook his head, pushing those thoughts aside. He had a duty to ensure Belladonna's safety and help her master Occlumency. Anything beyond that was a distraction he could not afford. Still, as he resumed his work, the memory of her fiery violet eyes and passionate spirit lingered in his mind, refusing to be ignored.