Part 38

Voldemort Confronts Severus in the Boathouse

Voldemort entered the boathouse, his expression twisted with frustration and rage. "The wand, it resists," he hissed angrily, approaching Severus with a menacing gait.

Severus stood tall, concealing his inner turmoil. "You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord, in the last few hours alone," he remarked calmly.

"No," Voldemort hissed, closing the gap, his snake slithering beside him. "No, I am extraordinary... but... the wand resists me."

Severus maintained his composure. "There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander himself has said. Tonight, when the boy comes, it will not fail you. I'm sure of it."

Voldemort's expression darkened with disbelief. Snape continued, "It answers to you, and you only."

Voldemort leaned in, his ghastly features inches from Severus's face. "Does it?"

Severus felt a chill run down his spine. "My Lord," he said hesitantly.

Voldemort paced around Severus, his eyes never leaving his target. "The wand... does it truly answer to me?" he hissed.

"You're a clever man, Severus. Surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?" he pressed.

"With you, of course, my Lord," Severus replied with as much conviction as he could muster.

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly because I am not its true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner," Voldemort hissed, drawing closer. "You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine. You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus. But only I can live forever."

Severus's heart pounded as Voldemort's words sank in. The realization of his fate sent waves of fear and despair through him, but he knew he had to remain calm. He clutched the tracking stone in his fist, feeling the talisman against his chest. I have to endure this, he thought, for Bella, for the others.

"My Lord," Snape faltered, seeing the wand aimed at him. The fear in his voice was genuine, a stark contrast to the calm facade he tried to maintain.

Voldemort slashed his neck, the searing pain like a blade of fire. Severus fell back against the frosted glass window, blood pouring from the wound. "Nagini, kill," Voldemort hissed before apparating out of the boathouse.

As Nagini struck, her fangs sinking into his flesh, Severus's world became a blur of agony. But the talisman began to glow, its magic working to heal and protect him. He focused on the warmth spreading from the talisman, knowing he just had to survive this.

Bella, please find me, he thought desperately, clinging to the hope that she would arrive in time. The pain was excruciating, but he held on, knowing that he had to endure for just a little longer.

Moments later, Belladonna burst into the boathouse, her face pale with fear. She knelt beside Severus, her hands trembling. "Severus, hold on."

She saw the glow of the talisman, realizing it had saved his life. With a flick of her wand, she helped him drink a healing potion from her expansion bag. 

Quickly, she captured his tears in a vial, knowing they contained the memories and insights Harry needed to win the battle. It was something they had discussed in detail prior to the battle, that he needed these memories. In viewing them, would realize he was the only one who could kill Voldemort.

"You're too weak to stay here," Belladonna insisted, helping him to his feet. "We need to get you to the Shrieking Shack. You'll be safe there."

Severus pleaded, his voice weak. "Bella, you have to give Harry the memories. He needs them."

Belladonna's eyes filled with determination. "I will. But first, I need to make sure you're safe."

They made their way to the Shrieking Shack, Belladonna supporting Severus as they moved through the darkened grounds. Once there, she settled him into a hidden corner, ensuring he was well-protected.

Severus grasped her hand, his grip weak but insistent. "Promise me you'll stay safe. Don't take unnecessary risks."

Belladonna nodded, her eyes fierce with resolve. "I promise. But I have to do this. Harry needs these memories, and I need to keep fighting."

She kissed him gently, then stood, her heart heavy but resolute. As she left the Shrieking Shack, Severus watched her go, his heart filled with a mix of fear and pride. He knew the battle ahead would be the ultimate test of their bond, he had to let her go into battle without him.