Part 40

The Long Overdue Proposal

As the dust settles, Belladonna approaches Severus, her eyes reflecting a mix of exhaustion and determination.

"Severus," she begins, her voice gentle but firm, "there's something I need to tell you."

Severus looks at her, curiosity piqued. "What is it, Belladonna?"

She takes a deep breath, her eyes softening as she gazes at him. "When I broke into my father's vault, I didn't just retrieve what I needed to escape. I took much more—treasures and money enough to ensure we never have to worry about finances again."

Severus's eyebrows raise in surprise, but there is a hint of a smile on his lips. "Clever, cunning, resourceful. Good girl."

Belladonna nods, a tender smile spreading across her face. "I wanted to make sure we had a future, Severus. A safe and secure one, away from all this madness."

She steps closer, her voice filled with love and hope. "Come with me to Washington. We can build a new life there, far from the pressures and dangers of Britain. A perfectly hidden, private life where we can live comfortably and peacefully."

Severus gazes at her, his eyes filled with a mixture of emotions—relief, admiration, and a deep, growing affection. "Away from Britain. Away from Hogwarts and everything I've built here?"

Belladonna nods again, her eyes shining. "Yes. You will love it, I promise. It's perfect for starting over. For us."

Severus takes a moment to consider, then reaches out to gently cup her cheek, his voice filled with emotion. "Belladonna, I would follow you anywhere. Just say when."

Severus then reaches into his pocket and brings out a small, ornate box. He gets down on one knee, his heart pounding. In front of everyone, he opens the box to reveal a beautiful ring. "But first," he says, his voice steady but full of emotion, "Belladonna, will you marry me?"

Tears well up in Belladonna's eyes, her heart swelling with love and joy. She looks at Severus, her voice trembling with emotion. "I thought you'd never ask," she says, her smile radiant. "Yes, I will marry you. A thousand times yes."

Severus rises to slip the ring on her trembling finger, his own hands shaking. "You bent the knee to me," she teased. "If it pleases you, Bella, I will do it a thousand more times."

A New Beginning: Arrival in Washington

The sun was just beginning to rise, casting a golden glow over the dense canopy of trees. Belladonna and Severus stood at the edge of the forest, their breaths visible in the cool morning air.

Belladonna took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of pine and earth. "This is it," she said, turning to Severus with a smile. "Our new beginning."

Severus nodded, his eyes scanning the forest. "It's beautiful," he murmured, his hand slipping into hers. "Just like you said."

They began their journey into the forest, their footsteps muffled by the thick carpet of fallen leaves. The silence was broken only by the occasional call of a bird and the rustle of small creatures in the underbrush.

Belladonna glanced at Severus, a mischievous glint in her eye. "Race you to the next clearing, Daddy?"

Severus raised an eyebrow, a rare smile tugging at his lips. "Are you challenging me, Mrs. Snape?"

Belladonna grinned. "Consider it an invitation."

Without warning, she darted ahead, laughing as Severus quickly followed. They weaved through the trees, their laughter echoing in the forest.

They finally reached a small clearing, panting and laughing. Belladonna looked around, her eyes sparkling. "This could be it," she said, her voice filled with excitement. "What do you think?"

Severus took a moment to catch his breath, then looked around the clearing. The sunlight filtered through the trees, casting dappled shadows on the ground. A small stream ran nearby, its gentle burble adding to the serene atmosphere.

"It's perfect," he said softly, his gaze returning to Belladonna. "Just like you."

Belladonna blushed, her heartwarming at his words. She stepped closer, wrapping her arms around his waist. "I'm glad you think so," she whispered. "Because this is where we'll build our new life together."

They spent the rest of the day exploring the clearing, discussing their plans for the cabin. Belladonna sketched out ideas in a notebook, her enthusiasm infectious.

"We'll have a big fireplace here," she said, pointing to a spot near the edge of the clearing. "And a garden over there, where we can grow our own herbs."

Severus nodded, his own excitement growing. "A library," he added, his eyes lighting up. "With shelves for all our books and space for our potions research."

Belladonna laughed, leaning into him. "Of course, Daddy. I wouldn't expect anything less."

As the sun began to set, they sat together on a fallen log, watching the sky turn shades of pink and orange. Belladonna rested her head on Severus's shoulder, feeling a deep sense of contentment.

"Do you think we'll be happy here?" Belladonna asked softly, her eyes fixed on the horizon.

Severus turned his head to look at her, his expression tender. "I know we will," he said, his voice filled with certainty. "My happiness comes from you, my darling. But yes, I do think we will be happy."

Belladonna smiled, lifting her head to press a kiss to his lips. "I love you, Daddy."

Severus cupped her cheek, his thumb gently brushing her skin. "And I love you, beautiful girl."

They sat in comfortable silence, the warmth of their love and the promise of a new beginning filling the air around them.

Over the next few weeks, they worked tirelessly to build their cabin. Their days were filled with hard work and laughter, their bond growing stronger with each passing day.

Belladonna often teased Severus about his meticulous nature, while he playfully chided her for her impulsive ideas. But their banter was always lighthearted, a testament to the deep affection they held for each other.

One afternoon, as they worked side by side to lay the foundation, Belladonna paused to wipe the sweat from her brow. "You know," she said with a grin, "I think we're becoming quite the team."

Severus looked up, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Indeed," he said, leaning in to kiss her. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Belladonna laughed, the sound echoing through the forest. "Me neither," she said, her heart full. "Me neither."

Together, they built not just a cabin, but a home—a place where they could truly be themselves, free from the shadows of their past. And as they stood hand in hand, looking out at the fruits of their labor, they knew they had found their haven.

Using both magic and manual labor, they construct a cozy, well-hidden cabin. The interior is a blend of comfort and practicality, with a fireplace, a well-stocked library, and large windows that let in the natural light. The cabin includes a secure vault where Belladonna stores their wealth, ensuring they have everything they need.

They settle into a peaceful routine, exploring the forest, cultivating a garden of magical and non-magical plants, and continuing their magical studies. Severus focuses on his potions, using the rare herbs they find in the forest, while Belladonna immerses herself in new magical disciplines.

Away from the constant threat of danger, both Severus and Belladonna find the space to heal. They share their burdens, support each other, and slowly let go of the traumas of their past. Their relationship deepens, built on mutual respect, shared experiences, and a growing sense of partnership.

In the Pacific Northwest, Belladonna and Severus find the peace and security they longed for. Their hidden cabin becomes a sanctuary, a place where they can truly live and thrive, free from the shadows of their past. Together, they build a future filled with hope, love, and endless possibilities.