Part 35

Severus appeared outside the cabin, his face a mask of fury. He stormed inside to find Belladonna just as she was about to leave with the invisibility potion.

"Bella, what do you think you're doing?" he demanded, his voice dangerously low.

Belladonna spun around, startled. "I need to help Draco. I can't just stay here doing nothing!"

Severus's eyes flashed with anger. "Do you have any idea how reckless this is? You could ruin everything!"

Aleister stepped forward, trying to calm the situation. "Severus, she's just trying to—"

"Stay out of this, Aleister," Severus snapped. "Belladonna, if you insist on going to Hogwarts, I will ensure you are kept away from the castle by any means necessary."

Belladonna's eyes filled with tears of frustration. "You don't understand! I can't just abandon him!"

Severus took a deep breath, trying to control his anger. "I would have promised anything to keep you safe. You cannot go."

Belladonna stared at him in shock. "What promise? What are you talking about?"

Severus hesitated, then spoke. "I made a promise to Dumbledore. Your safety in exchange for... certain actions I must take."

Belladonna's face turned cold. "You promised him to keep me away? To leave Draco to face this alone?"

"It was necessary to protect you," Severus insisted. "I would do anything to keep you safe."

Belladonna's anger flared. "Get out. I don't need your protection."

Severus grabbed the potion from her. "I can't let you do this."

Belladonna's eyes blazed with defiance. "I'll just make another. And another. You can't stop me."

Severus's expression hardened. "If I have to make you a prisoner in this cabin, I will. I am not above it."

Belladonna's anger turned into cold fury. "Why, Severus? Why must it be you? Why did Dumbledore insist on it?"

Severus's face tightened. "Because Dumbledore is already dying. He was cursed by a dark object. He knew his time was limited, and he wanted to ensure Voldemort would trust me completely. By fulfilling this act, I gain his trust and ensure my position close to him, so I can continue to protect you, Draco, and countless others."

Belladonna's eyes filled with tears, her voice shaking. "I hate this, Severus. I hate that you made this promise. But most of all, I hate that I can't be there for Draco."

Severus stepped closer, his voice softening. "I know, Bella. But your safety is paramount. If you were caught, everything would fall apart. Please, trust me."

Belladonna turned away, her tears falling silently. "Just leave. I can't look at you right now."

Severus nodded, his heart heavy. He turned and left the cabin, taking the potion with him. As he disappeared, Belladonna sank to the floor, her anger and sorrow overwhelming her.

Belladonna's Anguish

Severus exited the cabin, the door closing with a finality that seemed to echo Belladonna's despair. Overwhelmed, she bolted into the dense forest, her heart pounding with a mixture of rage and helplessness. She ran until her legs gave out, collapsing to the ground in a secluded clearing.

Alone in the darkness, Belladonna let her emotions consume her. She cried, her sobs echoing through the trees, the weight of the situation pressing down on her. The thought of Draco suffering, Severus's difficult promise, and her own powerlessness tore at her soul.