Part 10

First Occlumency Lesson 

Trigger Warnings: Graphic content ahead.

Belladonna entered Snape's office with a sense of trepidation, her heart pounding in her chest. The room was dimly lit, the only light coming from a few flickering candles and the fire crackling in the hearth. Snape stood behind his desk, his expression as stern and unreadable as ever.

"Miss Nightshade," he said curtly, not looking up from the papers he was sorting. "Close the door and sit down."

She did as instructed, her hands trembling slightly. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. This was important. She needed to master Occlumency to protect not only herself but also Draco.

Snape finally looked up, his dark eyes piercing into hers. "Occlumency is the art of shielding your mind from external intrusion. It requires discipline, focus, and the ability to control your emotions. You must clear your mind of all thoughts and emotions. If you do not, your thoughts will betray you to any skilled Legilimens."

Belladonna nodded, her throat dry. "I understand, Professor."

He narrowed his eyes. "Do you? We shall see." He moved from behind his desk and stood in front of her, his presence imposing. "Stand up."

She rose to her feet, feeling the tension in the air. Snape drew his wand and pointed it at her. "Legilimens."

The spell hit her like a physical blow, and suddenly Belladonna was no longer in Snape's office. She was in her family's drawing room, a memory she had tried to bury deep. Her father was there, his face twisted in anger as he berated her older brother, Damien. The air was thick with the smell of burning wood and something darker, more acrid.

"You're a disgrace," her father spat at Damien. "You have brought shame upon this family."

Damien stood there, his face pale but defiant. Belladonna, a younger version of herself, watched from the corner, her heart pounding with fear and helplessness.

"No!" Belladonna shouted, trying to push Snape's intrusion out of her mind. She felt his presence like a vice, squeezing her memories and emotions.

"Clear your mind, Miss Nightshade," Snape's voice echoed distantly. "Push me out."

She tried to focus, to build walls around her thoughts, but the memories kept flooding in. She was in the hidden chamber now, dark artifacts lining the walls.

Her father was performing a ritual, the air crackling with dark magic. Belladonna's younger self watched in horror as her father drew blood from a small, trembling creature.

The creature's eyes were wide with fear, its body convulsing in pain as the ritual continued. Blood pooled on the floor, and the scent of it mixed with the sickly sweet aroma of burning herbs.

"Get out!" she screamed, her voice echoing in the chamber. She pushed with all her might, but Snape's presence was relentless.

Another memory surged forward. She was in her room, holding her younger sister, Hecate, who was crying softly. Their father had just punished Hecate for a minor mistake, using a hex that left deep, painful welts across her back. Belladonna was trying to comfort her, but the sight of the injuries made her stomach churn.

"Shh, it's okay," she whispered to Hecate. "I've got you."

"Enough," Snape's voice cut through the memory, and suddenly Belladonna was back in his office, gasping for breath.

Snape lowered his wand, his expression hard and cold, though his eyes betrayed a flicker of disturbance. "Pathetic. You must do better, Miss Nightshade. The Dark Lord will not be as forgiving."