24.

Karen was still standing there, not having words to say... she felt terrible for opening her big mouth being insensitive to her sister's pain.

"I didn't go all around Detroit having sex when I was a young kid." Dorinda said to her as tears fell from the three of them, their mom included.

"Karen it's okay honey you didn't know." Mattie said as she saw Karen who was still crying standing away from them.

"Give me my baby Twinkie." Karen said to her sister and Twinkie shifted from Karen.

"Leave that baby alone Karen ya'll need to talk." Jacky said to her and Karen wiped her tears, she just wanted to hold her child.

"Let's leave them to talk Twinkie." Jacky said to her.

"We'll go get us some food for later." Twinkie said and Jacky picked up Kierra's baby bag.

Karen rolled her eyes, she understood that they were just trying to take Kierra out the noise but she really didn't feel like dealing with Dorinda's mess... she didn't want to lose her control.

"Ya'll better not be fighting also." Jacky said and her and Twinkie left with Kierra so they could leave Karen and Dorinda to talk to each other.

"Karen come sit down." Mattie called her " you too Dorinda , sit down." Mattie said to her daughter.

Karen and Dorinda listened to their mother and Karen sat down next to her while Dorinda sat on the other side.

"Karen baby, I will always be your mother, you don't have to call anyone anything that you're not comfortable with." Mattie said to her and Dorinda rolled her eyes.

"She's my daughter mama." Dorinda said to her mom "it's weird now that she knows." Dorinda said her mom wasn't making things better at all and Karen scrunched her face.

"Oh so you want me to call you mama?" Karen asked her looking offended.

"I didn't say that." Dorinda said to her.

"I was surprised." Karen said. Even if Dorinda wanted to call her mom Karen knew that she was never going to that, she had trouble alone accepting that it's true.

"Why did ya'll lie to me? Why say mama is my mother when she wasn't?" Karen asked and Mattie and Dorinda looked at each other. It was like Dorinda gave her mom an eye to go ahead and say something because she didn't know what to do.

"She was not fit for a baby after her trauma Karen, she wasn't okay." Mattie told her and Karen looked at Dorinda.

"Karen I still had school, and I was a kid myself... then my mental health just deteriorated. I tried being a mother to you after you were born but I- I just couldn't, feeding you alone reminded me of the trauma, I was so mad for so long." Dorinda explained.

"I had thoughts of ending your life, ending both our lives and I told momma about it. The doctors said it was postpartum depression and I would get over it but then weeks passed and I couldn't." Dorinda said as Karen listened to her intently.

"On top of things I blamed myself for mommy and daddy getting a divorce. I went to dad for a while to clear my head and mom was left with you and I didn't come back the same." Dorinda said to her.

"What do you mean you didn't come back the same?" Karen asked and Dorinda looked down, being ashamed to answer her question.

"She came back not wanting to be a mother anymore... she tried and she couldn't see herself to do it, so she talked to me about it and since I was taking care of you from the moment you were born I didn't mind at all... it's like you were born to be my baby Karen." Mattie said to Karen, she really treated Karen like all her children in her heart. She didn't see her as a grandchild at all.