35.

Karen moved her fingers and felt the almost soft sheet in her hand as she tried to regain consciousness... the last thing she remembered was hearing the cries of her son.

She opened her eyes and saw her sisters Dorinda and Twinkie sleeping there in the chairs in the hospital room.

"Hey Kare Bear." Jacky softly said getting in the room with 3 cups of coffee in her hands.

Karen looked at her and didn't say a word to her which Jacky understood .

"How are you feeling ? Should I call the doctor?" Jacky asked after she placed the cups down ,Karen shook her head no.

Doctors will only ask her a lot of questions and that's not what she wanted, all she wanted to know was if her son was cremated or if she could take him home to bury him since she didn't have any hope.

He was small, very tiny... he had no warmth and Karen had him exposed to water since that was where she pushed him out so she tried to save herself from pain by not being hopeful.

Twinkie woke up hearing Jacky's voice and she got up from her chair.

"Hey, boy am I glad to see you." Twinkie said to Karen after wiping the sleep from her face.

Karen let out a small attempt at a smile responding to Twinkie.

"How she doing?" Twinkie asked looking at Jacky and she shrugged her shoulders.

"But her numbers look good... she's calm." Jacky answered her and Twinkie nodded.

"Can we pray and thank God?" Twinkie asked and Jacky nodded then she looked back at Dorinda.

"Let me wake chatty Kathy right here so we can pray together." Jacky said.

"Chatty Kathy hasn't been so chatty." Twinkie said.

Jacky shook Dorinda a little out her sleep and she woke up .

"Karen's awake Dorinda." Jacky said to her.

"Yeah? Oh thank God." Dorinda said softly .

"That's what we about to do... thank him, come on." Jacky said and she helped Dorinda out of her chair.

Dorinda and Karen exchanged looks as she came closer to her bed and she held hands with her sisters as they said their prayer.

"Was-" Karen let out and everyone turned to her to hear what she was trying to say.

"Was he- was he cremated?" Karen softly spoke .

The sisters exchanged glances confused about why Karen would think that.

"He's alive KareBear, he's in the Nicu fighting for you " Twinkie gently said, Karen looked at her not believing what she was just told.

"What?" Karen softly asked, tears fell from her face.

"He's going to be okay Karen... in Jesus name your son will be okay." Jacky told her and Karen nodded as the news registered in her head.

Jacky continued to hug her little sister seeing that she was trying hard not to cry some more and Karen was just grateful .

Grateful that God extended this grace to her , that in the midst of everything he managed to give her the greatest gift of all... she didn't even want to ask how, how was he alive after having two professionals tell her that her baby wasn't moving and his heart stopped.

"Karen?" Mattie called out getting into the room in a hurry.

"Mommy." Karen let out holding her arms out.