17.

Karen parked her car finally making it to her mother's house, she had been driving around Detroit as she got lost a bit but she finally made it and she was glad because soon Kierra was going to wake up.

Her job wasn't really that far from here but she didn't feel like going, she was too tired and too heartbroken to face people today. So getting out her car she took Kierra out her seat and she locked it then walked to her mother's door.

Karen took a deep breath before she knocked, she didn't know how her parent was going to react to her, but she had no where else to go and she didn't want to be in a motel or a hotel with a baby, it was too traumatic for her after what happened last time.

Karen knocked on her door and she adjusted Kierra, then she knocked again.

"Karen?" Mattie said opening the door seeing her daughter holding her own daughter in her arms.

"What in the world?" Mattie asked, "get in, get in" Mattie said to her and Karen got inside the house.

"Hey mommy" Karen softly said and her mother hugged her.

"I'm here ma' " Karen said seeing that her mother was emotional after some time, Mattie pulled her away and she slapped Karen as her face turned still holding Kierra.

"Don't you ever do that to me again you hear me!? Don't you ever run away like that Valencia! " Mattie yelled and Karen nodded as tears filled her eyes.

"I won't mama, I promise I won't." Karen said to her and Mattie hugged her again.

Karen couldn't even get mad at her mom for slapping her, she actually deserved it and she was lucky that she was willing to take her back, she wasn't mad but she was glad to have her back.

"Give me my grandbaby, let me go put her in the bed." Mattie said and she took Kierra out of Karen's arms then proceeded to go upstairs.

Karen walked in the kitchen now feeling hungry she looked over the fridge for some left overs and she took out a plate to dish for herself.

When Mattie came back downstairs she found Karen eating in the kitchen

"That baby is so grown Valencia. " Mattie said to her and Karen nodded, she felt bad for keeping her away from them. "She looks just like-" Mattie said but Karen cut her off

"She's not my blood" Karen said wanting to stop the lies.

"What?" Mattie asked, she kind of didn't think that Kierra looked like her but she wasn't what she was going to compare her to, she wanted to joke about someone she saw on TV instead.

"She's not my blood , I adopted her." Karen said as she put her spoon down and wiped her mouth, she saw that her mother was confused.

"Her mother's name was Clara, the first friend that I ever had." Karen started . " one day she told me something was wrong in her body and we had to bath and do our makeup and hair for the men... Clara told me something was wrong." Karen said and her mother listened intently not wanting to disturb her.

"We got into one shower stall together and immediately she felt a splash of water , she told me what it means. I quickly took as many towels as I can get and we sneaked to the abandoned buildings at the back. I knew how to cause this girl I h- never mind." Karen said seeing that that was irrelevant to the story.

"We went there and I helped her take her baby out and she died, she died after making me promise that I will run away with Kierra from that place. And luckily it was the right day because Drew unknowingly created a way out for me, a way to escape and we met by accident. " Karen said.

"Oh baby girl." Mattie said holding her hand. Mattie knew that there was so much to Karen's story she didn't know but she didn't know if she could handle the truth... her daughter has been through too much.