55.

Karen knocked at the front door of Mrs Phillips house, she then took a step back after hearing footsteps.

"Mrs Sheard" Mrs Phillips greeted after she opened the door seeing Karen there.

"Mrs Phillips" Karen greeted back.

"Why are you here?" Mrs Phillips said to her.

"I uh... I came to talk to you." Karen said to her, the older woman analyzed her and she sighed.

Then she let Karen inside, Karen tried to not be too judgemental of the environment inside, she has seen worse so it didn't phase her much.

"I wasn't expecting any guests" the woman said to her.

Mrs Phillips was Malachy and Mikhaila's grandmother and she knew Karen to be a social worker when they met at the hospital

"It's okay." Karen said to her,

Mrs Phillips showed her where she could sit and Karen took a sit where she was ushered, she saw as there were photos of Malachy around the house during the years... she searched for Mikhaila's.

"How can I help you Mrs Sheard?" Mrs Phillips asked.

"Uhm... I wanted to ask you about your... uhm , your situation. With Malachy and Mikhaila, where are their parents?" Karen asked.

"Is this your job Mrs Sheard?" Mrs Phillips asked suspiciously.

"Yes ma'am..." Karen answered.

"Their dad died, he was my son... Malachy's mom could be somewhere out there and I know nothing about Mikhaila's mom." Mrs Phillips said dryly.

"How are they as teenagers? Like are they giving you any troubles... making it difficult for you to discipline or things like that?" Karen asked her.

"Now Malachy is a sweet , sweet boy... he's an angel... it's that Mikhaila Cassidy that's the problem, the girl just likes being bad ou lord." The woman dramatically let out.

"Her name is Mikhaila Cassidy Phillips?" Karen asked , she didn't want go get mad.

But in her head she wondered why the hell would they name her daughter Mikhaila Cassidy.

"Yes, why?" Mrs Phillips asked and Karen just shook her head.

"Have you ever thought of putting them up for adoption?" Karen asked her.

The woman looked at her taking an offense at what she just said, it was all written in her face.

"Why would I do that?" Mrs Phillips asked her.

"I'm sorry Mrs Phillips but you don't work, you don't seem to be that much active because of your age... how are you able to even provide food on the table?" Karen asked, she tried to make it sound less harmful .

"And the system will put food on their table?" Mrs Phillips asked with an attitude.

Before Karen tried to answer her question Mrs Phillips cut in

"I tried putting Mikhaila in when I couldn't handle her terrible attitude , but her uncle talked me out of it and she does try to behave now so I don't think my grandkids are going anywhere." Mrs Phillips said to her.

"You only tried to put her?" Karen asked hurt, she wondered what more happened between Mikhaila and her grandmother.

It didn't sound like they had a good relationship to her , even the uncle sounded a little shady.

"Okay I'll be honest with you... I knew Malachy's parents, her mom died trying to help me out so I just want to take care of the kids." Karen said her.

"She was a sweet girl that Lisa, grew up right around here..." Mrs Phillips said ,