chapter 20: welcome to the big leagues!

"Wooooow! Huge! This place is massive!" Y/n marveled at the colossal entrance of the Indigo Plateau as Venusaur returned to his PokeBall. The grandiose architecture and the bustling crowd of trainers added to the awe of the moment.

"This is totally different from any other tournament I've seen," Y/n muttered, his eyes wide with excitement as he ascended the grand steps towards the main building. He could feel the weight of the occasion in the air.

"It's time... To challenge the Indigo League, the tournament of tournaments, the ultimate stage where a champion is decided," Y/n whispered to himself, the gravity of the moment sinking in. Suddenly, a familiar voice called out from behind him.

"Heya rival! Long time no see!" Y/n turned to see Rin approaching with a confident smirk, her Houndoom by her side, its presence commanding respect.

"Rin? What are you doing here? To cheer me on?"
Y/n asked with a smile, half-expecting her to be a spectator.

"Nope! I'm entering the league too," Rin replied, her eyes gleaming with determination.

"Is that so? That means I have another rival to beat," Y/n said, his competitive spirit ignited.'That's right," Rin responded with a nod.

After registering for the league, Y/n found himself staring at the preliminary brackets. Eight separate boxes, each labeled with a letter from A to H, held around 100 trainers each.

"Wow! All these people are entering the preliminaries?!" Y/n exclaimed, overwhelmed by the sheer number of participants.

"I'm in block H... Third match at battlefield number 13,' Y/n read aloud, noticing familiar faces like Gary and Ash in different blocks. 'Different blocks for the preliminary, just like I wanted. I have to beat them in the main tournament,' Y/n thought to himself, steeling his resolve.

"Guess I'll kill some time and hang around here a little while," Rin said, making Y/n turn to her in confusion."What? What about your match?" he asked.

"Well, I was seeded to start in the third round," she said casually, her hands resting behind her head.

"Huh?! What do you mean? How?" Y/n asked, shocked.

"I placed first in the last Chinabar League, so my trainer rank went up. That's how I got my seed," Rin explained.

"That's not fair," Y/n pouted making Rin shrug with a smirk,"It's based on results,"

"Mhm! I don't need something like that. I'll make it through the preliminary with nothing but skill," Y/n declared, only for Rin to playfully karate chop him on the head.

"You know... You're gonna lose if you're so full of yourself," she teased.

"Ouch, that hurts!" Y/n winced, rubbing his head.

"The Indigo League is different from any other league. All the participants are ace trainers from various regions who earned eight or more badges. Their skills are top-notch," Rin explained, her tone serious.

"There are more than 500 of them, and only 12 can get through the preliminaries and enter the main tournament. It's a battlefield where you have to go all out because no one is going to pull their punches," she finished, her gaze unwavering.

"Yeah, I can definitely feel it when I look around... Every single one of them is at a different level," Y/n said, scanning the crowd and noting multiple trainers who looked formidable.

The excitement and tension of the Indigo League were palpable, and Y/n knew he had to give it his all to stand a chance against such fierce competition.

Battle field number 24

A Wartortle and a Nidorino clash in the middle of the battle field as Ash and another trainer watch.