chapter 22: last day of preliminaries!

The four strongest trainers in the region, the Elite Four, stood in all their glory, their imposing figures moving through the crowd with an air of untouchable authority. Their presence commanded respect and awe, causing the onlookers to part like the Red Sea. Every step they took was a testament to their unrivaled power.

"Hey, don't push," a random trainer protested as Y/n maneuvered through the crowd, positioning himself directly in front of the Elite Four. His expression was serious and resolute, eyes burning with determination.

"Y/n!? What is he thinking, going down there!?" Misty yelled in surprise, her voice echoing with concern.

"What are you doing? Please let me through," said Lance, his voice cold and dismissive.

Y/n then bowed deeply before the Elite Four. "I wanted to greet you, the Elite Four whom I admire," he said, standing tall once more, his voice steady and unwavering. "I'm Y/n from Pallet Town, and I plan to reach the top! That means I'm going to surpass you all!"

Agatha let out a chuckle, her eyes glinting with amusement. "Haha! Was that a declaration of war?"

Lorelei's lips curved into a soft smile. "He talks big," she remarked, her tone carrying a hint of intrigue.

Behind the three, Bruno stood like a mountain, his massive form casting a shadow over them. He closed his eyes, a silent guardian in their midst. Lance stepped forward with a glance that could kill a man.

"To challenge someone in the Indigo League after having only reached the preliminaries is something a child would do," said Lance, his tone dripping with condescension.

Y/n didn't flinch under Lance's scrutiny. His resolve only seemed to harden as he met the Dragon Master's glare head-on.

"Maybe it's something a child would do," Y/n admitted, his voice steady. "But every Champion, every member of the Elite Four, was once a beginner too. I'm here to prove that anyone can reach the top."

The crowd murmured, a mix of skepticism and admiration rippling through the onlookers. Misty watched with bated breath, Ash and Rin were watching with admiration while Brock was brocking over Lorelei. Ash knew Y/n was determined, but to see him challenge the Elite Four so openly was something else entirely.

Agatha's laughter echoed again, this time louder. "He's got spirit, I'll give him that," she said, her eyes twinkling with a mixture of amusement and respect. "But spirit alone won't get you far in the Indigo League."

Bruno opened his eyes and nodded slightly, acknowledging Y/n's boldness. "Strength is more than physical power. It's also about the will to push through limits," he said, his deep voice resonating as the Elite Four walked past Y/n and entered the main building, leaving Y/n behind.

"Hey, wait!!" yelled Y/n as he tried to run after them, but Misty grabbed him by the collar. "Hey! What do you think you're doing!? Damnit!! I forgot to ask for their autograph!"

"What's with that guy?" asked a kid, as a Charmeleon and Raichu stood next to him.

"What were you thinking?!" yelled Misty as the group
now stood behind a pillar. "I can't believe I didn't get their autograph," Y/n sulked, facing the pillar with a look of frustration and disappointment.

Y/n's frustration was palpable as he slumped against the pillar, his earlier determination now tinged with regret. Misty crossed her arms, her expression a mix of exasperation and concern.

"You seriously need to think before you do something so stupid," Misty scolded, shaking her head. "Challenging the Elite Four like that... Do you have a death wish?"