53

Ja'rod Lewis
            Compton California
December 19th 2023

It was currently two-thirty in the morning as I sat in the living room smoking a blunt. I raised my eyebrows at the tv which showed poetic justice.

My head turned as I heard a door open and close. I sigh knowing it was Destiny.  Hearing her footsteps getting closer, I quickly ash my blunt before spraying some air freshener.

"Baby?"

"Yea?" I responded.

"Why are you out here?" She stood in front of me, rubbing her eye.

"Couldn't sleep" I mumbled.

"Why?" She said sitting next to me.

I licked my lips before responding, "ion know—why you up?"

She let out a sigh before responding, "I went to go lay on you but all I felt was bed"

"Mmm" I hummed, "go back to sleep"

"No I'll stay out here with you" she mumbled before yawning.

"Go ta' sleep, I'a be there in a few"

"Tell me what's on your mind—is it your mom?"

"Nah" I lied, "go back to sleep and ima be there in a minute"

"Okay" she pecked his lips before walking back to his bedroom.

Ja'rod let out a sigh before standing up and turning off the tv and walking towards his head.

. . . . . . .
Omniscient
                     11:37 am

"You get some sleep baby?" Destiny asked looking towards ja'rod.

"Mhm" he lied before looking down at her before pecking her lips. He didn't get one second of sleep last night but he didn't want to worry her.

She didn't need that stress on her, considering she was almost two months pregnant.

"We have an appointment tomorrow morning" she mentioned.

"What time?"

"Ten"

"Aight I'll be at yo' place 'round eight-thirty, sum' like dat"

She furrowed her eyebrows before speaking, "im not spending the night?"

"Nah, when I get back ima drop you home—that cool?"

"I mean yea but I just thought I was staying the night again"

"I just need ta' handle sum' fa' a few days" he spoke.

"Oh okay"

"It ain't nothin' 'bout you mama, I just gotta handle some business" he said before pecking her lips, "take care of my kids, yea?"

"I will" she said before her small smile fell into a deep frown, "please be careful"

"Always—igh I luh you"

"I love you too"

"Bye daddy!" Kaiser exclaimed.

"Bye lil nigga" ja'rod replied as he walked towards his car. Destiny watched him pull off before letting out a sigh.

"Alright—are you hungry baby?" She asked Kaiser.

"Yea!"

"Okay let's get dressed, we can go out for breakfast today" she grabbed his hand before walking to his bedroom.

. . . . . . . .
                   Ja'rod Lewis
                      3:19 pm