Chapter 6

The celebration moved to a cozy, bustling restaurant near the university. The atmosphere was lively, filled with the laughter and chatter of students unwinding after a long day. Jaehyun, Leehan, Hana, Riwoo, Sungho, Taesan, and Woonhak found a large table in the center of the room, pushing together extra chairs to accommodate everyone.

Plates of food and glasses of drinks were passed around, the mood light and joyous. Leehan was in high spirits, his smile never fading. He recounted highlights from the game, and everyone chimed in with their perspectives and cheers.

"This calls for a toast!" Sungho announced, raising his glass. "To Leehan, Taesan, Woonhak, and the rest of the team for an amazing victory!"

The group raised their glasses, voices joining in a chorus of cheers. "To the team!"

Jaehyun watched Leehan, his heart swelling with pride and something more. Leehan caught his eye and gave him a warm smile, making Jaehyun's pulse quicken. He quickly looked away, taking a sip of his drink to steady himself.

As the evening progressed, the conversation turned to lighter topics. Riwoo and Sungho shared funny stories from dance practice, making everyone laugh. Hana and Leehan talked about their upcoming date, discussing plans and ideas with enthusiasm.

Jaehyun listened, feeling a mixture of happiness for Leehan and a twinge of sadness. He tried to stay engaged, contributing to the conversation and enjoying the camaraderie of his friends.

After a while, Hana excused herself to make a call, and the group took a moment to relax, enjoying the comfortable silence that settled over the table. Leehan leaned back in his chair, looking content and a little tired from the day's events.

Jaehyun seized the opportunity to talk to Leehan privately. "Hey, Leehan, can we step outside for a moment? I could use some fresh air."

Leehan nodded, pushing back his chair. "Sure, let's go."

They stepped out into the cool evening air, the noise of the restaurant fading behind them. They walked a little way down the street, finding a quiet spot to stand.

"What's on your mind, Jaehyun?" Leehan asked, his voice gentle.

Jaehyun hesitated, trying to find the right words. "I just wanted to say how proud I am of you, Leehan. Not just for today's game, but for everything. You've been through a lot, and you've handled it all with such strength."

Leehan looked touched by Jaehyun's words. "Thank you, Jaehyun. That means a lot coming from you. You've been there for me every step of the way."

Jaehyun took a deep breath, feeling the weight of his unspoken feelings. "I just... I want you to know that I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Leehan's eyes softened, and he reached out to place a hand on Jaehyun's shoulder. "I know, Jaehyun. And I'm here for you too. We've got each other's backs."

Jaehyun smiled, feeling a little more at ease. "Yeah, we do."

They stood there for a moment, the cool breeze brushing past them. Jaehyun felt a sense of peace, despite the turmoil in his heart. He knew he had to be honest with himself about his feelings, but for now, he was content to be by Leehan's side, supporting him as a friend.

"Ready to head back in?" Leehan asked, his smile brightening the dim street.

Jaehyun nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

As they walked back to the restaurant, Jaehyun felt a renewed sense of determination. He would find a way to navigate his feelings, to be the friend Leehan needed while also taking care of his own heart. Because, in the end, the bond they shared was worth everything.

• ─────────── •

Days turned into weeks, and Jaehyun found himself falling into a familiar routine of classes, dance practice, and spending time with his friends. Leehan and Hana continued to grow closer, their relationship blossoming with each passing day. Jaehyun did his best to be supportive, pushing his own feelings aside for the sake of their happiness.

One afternoon, Jaehyun sat in the campus courtyard, a book open in front of him but his mind elsewhere. He watched Leehan and Hana across the way, laughing together as they walked hand in hand. They made a beautiful couple, their affection for each other evident in every gesture.

Riwoo sat down beside Jaehyun, breaking him out of his thoughts. "Hey, Jaehyun. You seem a bit distracted today. Everything okay?"

Jaehyun forced a smile, nodding. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking about some things."

Riwoo studied him for a moment, concern evident in his eyes. "Is this about Leehan and Hana?"

Jaehyun sighed softly, not wanting to burden his friend with his own struggles. "I'm happy for them, Riwoo. Really, I am."

Riwoo placed a hand on Jaehyun's shoulder, his expression sympathetic. "It's okay to feel conflicted, Jaehyun. You've been through a lot too."

Jaehyun nodded, grateful for Riwoo's understanding. "I know. And I want what's best for Leehan and Hana. They deserve to be happy."

As the days passed, Jaehyun continued to support Leehan and Hana, attending their outings and celebrating their milestones with genuine enthusiasm. He pushed himself to be there for them, to be the friend they needed.

One evening, Jaehyun joined Leehan, Hana, Riwoo, and Sungho for dinner at a cozy café near the university. The conversation flowed easily, filled with laughter and stories of their recent adventures. Jaehyun listened attentively, his heart heavy with the weight of his hidden feelings.

As the evening drew to a close, Jaehyun walked Hana to her dorm, bidding her goodnight with a warm hug. He lingered for a moment, watching her disappear inside before turning to find Leehan waiting for him.

"Hey, Jaehyun," Leehan said, a small smile on his lips. "Thanks for coming tonight. It meant a lot to both of us."

Jaehyun returned the smile, masking the ache in his heart. "Of course, Leehan. I'm glad I could be here."

They walked back to their dorms together in comfortable silence, the night air cool and quiet around them. Jaehyun struggled to find the right words, unsure how to express the turmoil inside him without jeopardizing their friendship.

"Jaehyun," Leehan began, his voice gentle. "I just want you to know how much your friendship means to me. You've been there for us through everything, and I appreciate it more than I can say."

Jaehyun felt a lump form in his throat, his emotions threatening to spill over. "You're my friend, Leehan. I'll always be here for you."

Leehan nodded, his expression earnest. "And I'm here for you too, Jaehyun. Whatever you need."

They reached Jaehyun's dorm, and he turned to face Leehan, gratitude and longing warring within him. "Goodnight, Leehan."

"Goodnight, Jaehyun," Leehan replied softly before heading to his own room.

Alone in his dorm, Jaehyun sank onto his bed, the weight of his unspoken feelings pressing down on him. He knew he had to find a way to come to terms with his emotions, to reconcile his desire for Leehan's happiness with his own heartache.

And as he lay there, staring at the ceiling in the darkness, Jaehyun made a silent promise to himself: he would continue to be the friend Leehan needed, even if it meant hiding his heartache behind a smile.

• ─────────── •