Chapter 9

Jaehyun unlocked the door to his home, greeted by the familiar scent of his mother's cooking and the warmth of the cozy interior. It had been a while since he had returned home for an extended break, and while he was glad to be surrounded by the comfort of his family, a part of him still felt unsettled.

He made his way to his room, the walls adorned with posters from his favorite bands and shelves filled with trophies and mementos from his school days. It was strange, being back in this space that held so many memories, yet feeling like a different person altogether.

As Jaehyun unpacked his suitcase, carefully placing his clothes in the dresser and arranging his books on the shelf, he came across a small gift box tucked away in a corner. He recognized it immediately—the gift Leehan had given him before they parted ways for the break.

Curiosity piqued, Jaehyun opened the box to find a delicate bracelet, its design simple yet elegant. He ran his fingers over the smooth surface, heart fluttering at the thoughtfulness behind Leehan's gesture. It reminded him of the bond they shared, the unspoken connection that tugged at his heartstrings.

A mix of emotions washed over Jaehyun—gratitude for Leehan's kindness, longing for his presence, and a deep-seated fear of what it all meant. He had never dared to confront these feelings before, not even to himself. But now, with Leehan's gift in his hands, the truth stared back at him, undeniable and raw.

That evening, Jaehyun joined his parents for dinner, the usual lively chatter filling the dining room. They asked about his studies, his friends, and his plans for the break, their concern and love evident in every word.

As they cleared the table, Jaehyun found himself unable to keep up the facade any longer. He took a deep breath, heart pounding in his chest, and turned to face his parents with a vulnerability he had never shown before.

"Mom, Dad," Jaehyun began, his voice trembling slightly. "There's something I need to tell you."

His parents exchanged a concerned glance, sensing the seriousness in Jaehyun's tone. "What is it, Jaehyun?" his mother asked gently, reaching out to place a comforting hand on his arm.

Jaehyun took another deep breath, gathering his thoughts. "I... I think I like guys."

Silence hung heavy in the air, the words lingering between them. Jaehyun's heart raced with fear of rejection, of disappointment, of everything changing in an instant.

His father spoke first, his voice steady despite the uncertainty in his eyes. "Jaehyun, we love you. No matter who you are or who you love, that will never change."

His mother nodded in agreement, her expression filled with understanding and acceptance. "You are our son, and we are here to support you."

Tears welled up in Jaehyun's eyes, overwhelmed by their unconditional love. He had feared this moment for so long, but now that it was here, he felt a weight lift off his shoulders.

"Thank you," Jaehyun whispered, emotions choking his voice. "I love you both so much."

They enveloped him in a hug, a bond of love and acceptance that transcended words. In that moment, Jaehyun knew that he was exactly where he belonged—surrounded by the warmth of his family's love, and with the courage to embrace his true self, uncertainties and all.

• ─────────── •