Chapter 30

Jaehyun and Hanbin stood at the entrance of the grand water aquarium park, tickets in hand, a gift from Hanbin's parents. The sun was shining brightly, casting shimmering reflections off the large, glass structures that housed the aquarium's diverse marine life.

"Wow, this place is amazing!" Hanbin exclaimed, his eyes wide with excitement.

Jaehyun smiled, feeling a bit of the excitement himself. "Yeah, it really is. Thanks for inviting me."

They began their journey through the aquarium, moving from one mesmerizing tank to another, marveling at the colorful fish, graceful sea turtles, and majestic sharks. The atmosphere was filled with the soothing sounds of water and the occasional exclamations of awe from visitors.

As they reached the section with smaller freshwater tanks, Jaehyun's eyes fell upon a familiar sight. Corydoras. His heart skipped a beat as he remembered that these were Leehan's favorite fish. The memory of their shared moments and Leehan's passion for these creatures brought a pang of sadness to Jaehyun's heart.

"Hey, look at these little guys," Hanbin said, pointing at the Corydoras. "They're so cute!"

Jaehyun nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, they are."

Hanbin glanced at his watch. "Oh no, I just realized I need to hurry home. My cousin's looking for me, and I promised to help out with something."

Jaehyun nodded, understanding. "No worries. I wanted to see the dolphin performance anyway. I can catch up with you later."

"Alright, see you soon!" Hanbin waved and hurried off, leaving Jaehyun alone.

Jaehyun made his way to the dolphin performance area. The show was captivating, with dolphins leaping through hoops and performing synchronized dances with their trainers. For a moment, he was lost in the beauty of it all, the worries and heartache pushed to the back of his mind.

As the performance ended and the audience erupted in applause, Jaehyun turned his head, scanning the crowd. His eyes widened in panic when he saw Leehan standing with Hana, both of them enjoying the show. He quickly hid himself behind a pillar, trying to avoid being seen.

Hana said something to Leehan and then left, presumably to go to the restroom. Jaehyun peeked out from his hiding spot, hoping to make a quick exit. But then he noticed Leehan looking directly at him, their eyes locking.

For a moment, time seemed to stand still. Jaehyun's heart raced as he saw a mix of emotions in Leehan's eyes – surprise, confusion, and something else he couldn't quite place. Jaehyun quickly averted his gaze, feeling the familiar surge of sadness and anxiety.

Jaehyun is still partially hidden, trying to decide whether to approach Leehan or make a hasty retreat, his mind a whirlwind of emotions.

• ─────────── •

Leehan walked briskly towards Jaehyun, who was still partially hidden behind the pillar. Jaehyun's heart pounded as he realized escape was impossible. He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself.

"Jaehyun, what are you doing here?" Leehan asked, his voice a mix of curiosity and relief.

Jaehyun managed a small smile. "Hanbin gave me a ticket. He had to leave early because he's busy."

Hearing Hanbin's name made Leehan's expression twitch with a hint of irritation, but he quickly masked it. "I missed you, Jaehyun," Leehan admitted, his tone soft and sincere.

Jaehyun wanted to say the same, but the words stayed locked in his thoughts. Instead, he simply nodded. "It's been too long since we had a nice conversation."

Just as they were about to delve deeper into their conversation, Jaehyun noticed Hana from afar, scanning the area, clearly looking for Leehan. Panic surged through him, and he instinctively grabbed Leehan's shirt.

"Leehan, Hana is looking for you," Jaehyun said, urgency in his voice. "You should go to her and take her home. It's getting late."

Leehan hesitated, his eyes filled with a mixture of frustration and sadness. "I don't want to leave you alone again. Not like last time."

Jaehyun felt his heart ache at Leehan's words. "It's okay. Go to her. She needs you."

Leehan turned to leave but felt Jaehyun's grip still on his shirt. He looked back and saw Jaehyun's glossy eyes, filled with unspoken emotions. For a moment, they were both caught in a silent exchange of longing and regret. Realizing what he was doing, Jaehyun quickly released his grip, looking away.

"Go, Leehan," Jaehyun repeated softly.

Leehan nodded reluctantly. "Goodbye, Jaehyun."

As Leehan walked away, Jaehyun watched him go, feeling an overwhelming sense of loneliness and heartache. He stood there, the memories of their time together flooding his mind, each one a painful reminder of what he had lost.

A song heard near a building played "Sa Ngalan Ng Pag-Ibig" by December Avenue

The song's lyrics echoed in Jaehyun's mind, reflecting his feelings of unrequited love and sacrifice. The weight of his emotions pressed down on him, making it hard to breathe. He thought about how he had put Leehan's happiness above his own, even if it meant enduring the pain of seeing him with someone else.

Jaehyun walked slowly, the rain starting to fall again, mirroring his inner turmoil. The city lights blurred through his tears, and he felt a deep, aching void in his heart. The chorus of the song played in his mind:

In the name of love, even though it hurts, because you are the one who makes me happy

As Jaehyun walked alone in the rain, he realized that his love for Leehan, though unrequited, was the most genuine and selfless feeling he had ever experienced. Jaehyun stood at a crossroads, physically and emotionally, contemplating the path he must take for his own happiness.

• ─────────── •