Chapter 40

Jaehyun walked into the university, trying to ignore the familiar flutter in his chest whenever he thought about Leehan. Despite his best efforts to avoid him, Leehan's loving gestures kept coming—small notes slipped into his locker, thoughtful gifts left on his desk, and kind words whispered in passing. Jaehyun declined and avoided every gesture, determined to keep his distance.

One afternoon, Jaehyun found himself in the library, grateful for the rare moment of solitude. He settled into a quiet corner with his books, hoping to lose himself in study. But just as he was getting comfortable, he saw Leehan approaching, a bouquet of roses in hand.

"Jaehyun," Leehan said softly, his eyes full of hope as he extended the flowers.

Jaehyun's initial reaction was to decline, ready to repeat the cycle of rejection. But then he saw Hana in the background, watching the scene unfold. Her eyes filled with tears before she turned and walked away, her shoulders shaking with silent sobs.

That was when Jaehyun snapped. "Leehan, what are you doing?" he hissed, his voice a mix of anger and frustration. "Why are you here, wasting your time bothering me when you should be fixing things with Hana?"

Leehan's expression shifted from hopeful to hurt. "Jaehyun, I'm not wasting my time. I'm trying to show you how much I care."

"Care?" Jaehyun's voice rose, attracting the attention of nearby students. "You call this caring? All you're doing is making things worse. You should be with Hana, not here pestering me."

Leehan's face darkened with anger. "You don't get to decide what I should be doing, Jaehyun. I'm here because I want to be. And it's you who's pushing me away, not the other way around."

Jaehyun's frustration boiled over. "It's for your own good, Leehan! You need to focus on fixing your relationship with Hana, not chasing after me."

Leehan shook his head, his voice trembling with emotion. "I've had enough of you telling me what's best for me. I was hoping we could at least be friends again, but it seems like you despise my presence."

The words cut deep, and for a moment, Jaehyun was struck silent. He could see the pain in Leehan's eyes, a reflection of his own inner turmoil. But before he could respond, Leehan turned and walked away, his shoulders slumped in defeat.

Jaehyun stood there, his heart aching with regret. He wanted to reach out, to take back the harsh words, but he wasn't selfish enough to fight for his own feelings at the cost of hurting Leehan further. As Leehan's figure disappeared from view, Jaehyun felt a deep sadness and longing.

Leehan, meanwhile, walked away with a heavy heart. The confrontation with Jaehyun had left him feeling raw and vulnerable. He wanted to confront Jaehyun again, to express his true feelings, but he knew the timing wasn't right. The pain was too fresh, too overwhelming.

"Maybe with time," Leehan thought, trying to find solace in the saying that time heals all wounds. He resolved to give Jaehyun the space he seemed to need, hoping that one day they could find their way back to each other, even if only as friends.

As the scene ended, both Jaehyun and Leehan were left to grapple with their conflicting emotions. Jaehyun felt the weight of his decisions pressing down on him, longing to make things right but unsure of how to do so without causing more harm. Leehan, on the other hand, was determined to let time mend their broken hearts, holding onto the hope that they could eventually reconcile.

The library, once a place of solitude, had become a silent witness to their unspoken feelings and unresolved tensions. As the day turned into night, both Jaehyun and Leehan were left to navigate their emotions alone, each hoping for a future where their paths might cross again, under better circumstances.

• ─────────── •

Jaehyun had planned another hangout with Hanbin, hoping the distraction would ease the turmoil in his heart. They decided to watch a rom-com movie at the cinema. As they lined up for tickets, Jaehyun spotted Hana trying to line up as well.

"Hana!" Jaehyun called out, waving to get her attention. "What are you doing here?"

Hana looked up, a bit surprised but pleased to see them. "Oh, hey! I'm here to watch a movie. What about you guys?"

"Same movie, it seems," Hanbin said, smiling warmly. "Why don't you join us?"

Hana hesitated for a moment before agreeing. "Sure, why not?"

The three of them went into the cinema together, with Jaehyun sitting in between Hanbin and Hana. Throughout the movie, they laughed and enjoyed themselves, the lighthearted film providing a temporary escape from their worries.

As the credits rolled, Hanbin excused himself to use the restroom, leaving Jaehyun and Hana seated.

Hana turned to Jaehyun with a teasing smile. "So, about that flower you got at the library..."

Jaehyun blushed and looked away. "It's not what it looks like," he mumbled, embarrassed.

Hana chuckled softly. "Relax, Jaehyun. I just wanted to say that it's sweet. But, I have to tell you something."

Jaehyun's expression turned serious. "What is it?"

"We've officially broken up," Hana said quietly, her eyes reflecting a mix of sadness and relief.

Jaehyun's eyes widened in shock. "What? I didn't know..."

Hana nodded. "Yeah, it happened recently. I'm still trying to move on, but I wanted you to know that I'm doing this for your and Leehan's happiness. You sacrificed so much for me, Jaehyun, and I can't keep pretending that everything is fine when it's not."

Jaehyun was left speechless, still processing her words. Before he could respond, Hanbin returned from the restroom, and they quickly cut their conversation short.

As they exited the cinema, Hana bid them farewell and went her own way. Hanbin and Jaehyun walked towards Hanbin's car in silence. Just as they reached the car, Hanbin stopped and turned to Jaehyun.

"Jaehyun, I need to tell you something," Hanbin said, his voice trembling slightly. "I love you. I have for a while now. Will you be my boyfriend?"

Jaehyun stood there, his mind racing. Memories of his time with Leehan flooded his thoughts. He remembered the moments of joy, the laughter, the unspoken connection they shared. He realized where his heart truly belonged.

"I'm sorry, Hanbin," Jaehyun finally said, his voice soft but firm. "I can't be with you. There's someone else I love."

Hanbin's heart broke at Jaehyun's words, but he managed a small, understanding smile. "I figured as much," he said, wiping away a single tear. "I hope you find the happiness you deserve."

Hanbin then took Jaehyun home, the drive filled with a heavy silence. As they reached Jaehyun's house, Hanbin turned to him one last time.

"Take care, Jaehyun," he said, his voice filled with genuine warmth despite his heartache.

"You too, Hanbin," Jaehyun replied, feeling a pang of guilt for hurting his friend.

Jaehyun watched as Hanbin drove away, a single tear slipping down Hanbin's cheek as he disappeared into the night. Jaehyun entered his home, his heart heavy with the weight of the day's revelations and the pain he had caused.

As Jaehyun lay in bed that night, he couldn't shake the feeling that everything was falling apart. Yet, amidst the chaos, a glimmer of hope remained. He knew he had to confront his feelings for Leehan and find a way to make things right. For now, he needed to rest and gather his strength for the challenges ahead.

• ─────────── •