Chapter 8

After their morning classes, Riwoo, Sungho, and Jaehyun decided to take a break from their usual routine. They headed to a nearby arcade, eager to unwind and distract Jaehyun from his emotional struggles. The arcade was buzzing with activity, filled with flashing lights and the sounds of games being played.

"Let's start with some air hockey!" Sungho suggested, leading the way to the nearest table.

Riwoo grinned, grabbing a puck. "You're on!"

Jaehyun watched his friends play, a small smile tugging at his lips. Their determination to lift his spirits touched him deeply, reminding him once again of the strength of their bond.

"You guys go ahead," Jaehyun said, gesturing for them to continue. "I'll cheer from the sidelines."

Riwoo and Sungho played several rounds of air hockey, their friendly competition drawing cheers and laughter from nearby spectators. Jaehyun couldn't help but join in, applauding their skill and teasing them whenever someone scored a goal.

After a few games, they moved on to other attractions in the arcade—racing games, shooting games, and even a dance machine. Sungho challenged Jaehyun to a dance-off, knowing how much Jaehyun loved to dance.

"You're going down, Sungho!" Jaehyun declared playfully, stepping onto the dance pad.

The music started, and Jaehyun let himself get lost in the rhythm, his movements fluid and expressive. Sungho matched him step for step, their competitive spirits fueling their performance. Riwoo and a small crowd gathered around, cheering them on and laughing at their antics.

As the song ended, Jaehyun and Sungho exchanged high-fives, both panting from exertion but grinning from ear to ear. Jaehyun felt a weight lift off his shoulders, if only for a moment.

"Not bad, Jaehyun," Sungho teased, wiping sweat from his brow.

"Thanks, Sungho," Jaehyun replied, catching his breath. "You're pretty good yourself."

Riwoo clapped Jaehyun on the back. "You guys were awesome! I think we have a shot at winning the dance competition."

Jaehyun smiled, genuinely grateful for his friends' efforts to cheer him up. "Yeah, let's go for it."

They spent the rest of the afternoon playing games, sharing jokes, and enjoying each other's company. Jaehyun found himself laughing more than he had in weeks, the weight of his emotions easing with each moment of camaraderie.

As they left the arcade, heading back to campus, Jaehyun felt a renewed sense of hope. He knew that his feelings for Leehan wouldn't disappear overnight, but with Riwoo and Sungho by his side, he felt stronger, more resilient.

"Thanks, guys," Jaehyun said sincerely, stopping them before they parted ways. "Today meant a lot to me."

Riwoo grinned. "Anytime, Jaehyun. We've got your back."

Sungho nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we're in this together."

As they walked back to their dorms, Jaehyun knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, he had friends who would always be there to lift him up and remind him of the joy and laughter that life had to offer.

• ─────────── •

Winter break had finally arrived at Seoul National University, bringing with it a sense of relief and anticipation. Classes were over, exams were done, and students scattered across the campus to celebrate the holidays with friends and family.

Jaehyun, Leehan, Hana, Riwoo, Sungho, Taesan, and Woonhak decided to spend one last afternoon together before Hana left with her family for their hometown. They gathered at a cozy café near the university, the warmth of the heater and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloping them.

Hana sat close to Leehan, their fingers intertwined as they shared a quiet conversation. Despite the impending separation, their smiles were bright, their love evident in every glance and touch.

Riwoo and Sungho animatedly discussed their plans for the break, excited about spending time with their families and preparing for the upcoming dance competition. Taesan and Woonhak joined in, teasing each other about their favorite basketball teams and upcoming matches.

Jaehyun watched his friends with a mixture of happiness and wistfulness. He cherished these moments, the laughter and camaraderie that defined their friendship. But as he glanced at Leehan and Hana, he couldn't shake the ache in his heart.

"Hey, Jaehyun," Riwoo said, nudging him gently. "You okay?"

Jaehyun nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, just thinking about the break, I guess."

Sungho leaned closer, concern etched on his face. "You know we're all here for you, right? If you need to talk."

Jaehyun appreciated their concern, their unwavering support. "Thanks, guys. I'm okay, really. Just... enjoying the moment."

They spent the afternoon reminiscing about their favorite memories from the semester—late-night study sessions, impromptu outings, and their adventures on and off campus. They laughed until their sides hurt, shared stories until the café closed its doors for the night.

As they walked back to campus, the air crisp with the promise of winter, Hana wrapped her arm around Jaehyun's shoulders. "We're going to miss you, Jaehyun. Promise you'll visit us during the break?"

Jaehyun nodded, touched by her kindness. "Of course, Hana. I wouldn't miss it."

Leehan walked beside them, his expression soft with gratitude as he revealed a small gift in his hand. "Thank you for being here, Jaehyun. You're a true friend, take this as my thanks for everything."

Jaehyun smiled, his heart aching yet full with the warmth of their friendship as he received the gift. "You're welcome, Leehan. Always."

They parted ways at the dormitories, hugs, and promises of staying in touch lingering in the air. Jaehyun watched them go, a bittersweet feeling settling in his chest. He knew that the days ahead would be challenging, navigating his feelings while supporting his friends. But as he looked up at the winter sky, he found solace in the knowledge that he was not alone.

• ─────────── •