Chapter 12

As Jaehyun and Leehan walked back to the lodge, the night air was crisp and filled with the soft sounds of snow crunching under their boots. The village around them was serene, the lights casting a warm glow that made everything feel almost magical. Jaehyun found himself wishing this moment could last forever.

"Let's take our time," Leehan suggested, his breath visible in the cold air. "No rush to get back."

Jaehyun nodded, grateful for the suggestion. The thought of returning to the lodge, of facing the last day of their trip, filled him with a sense of impending loss. He didn't want this night to end, didn't want to return to the reality where Leehan would soon be reunited with his girlfriend.

They walked in silence for a while, the quiet night allowing Jaehyun to reflect on the day. Every laugh, every shared look, every moment of closeness—it all meant so much to him. But he knew that tomorrow would bring changes he wasn't ready to face.

Leehan talked about the plans for their final day, but Jaehyun's mind was elsewhere. He couldn't stop thinking about how much he would miss these moments, and the thought of losing this connection brought a lump to his throat.

As they walked, Jaehyun's emotions overwhelmed him, and a tear slipped down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away, hoping Leehan wouldn't notice. But of course, he did.

"Jaehyun, are you okay?" Leehan's voice was filled with concern.

Jaehyun forced a smile, shaking his head slightly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit tired, I guess."

Leehan didn't seem convinced but decided not to push. They continued walking, the silence between them now charged with unspoken emotions.

Jaehyun felt another tear escape, and this time, Leehan stopped walking. "Jaehyun, what's going on? You can talk to me."

Jaehyun looked down, unable to meet Leehan's eyes. "It's nothing, really. Just... thinking about how much I enjoyed today and how I don't want it to end."

Leehan sighed softly, placing a hand on Jaehyun's shoulder. "I get that. It's been a great trip."

Jaehyun nodded, still avoiding Leehan's gaze. "Yeah, it has."

Leehan gently turned Jaehyun to face him. "Hey, whatever it is, I'm here for you. You can tell me anything."

Jaehyun's eyes filled with tears again, but he shook his head. "It's nothing, Leehan. Really. I just... I'm going to miss this."

Leehan's expression softened, and he pulled Jaehyun into a comforting hug. "We'll have more moments like this. I promise."

Jaehyun clung to Leehan, the warmth of the embrace both comforting and painful. He knew he couldn't reveal his true feelings, not now. But the assurance in Leehan's words gave him a small measure of comfort.

"Thanks, Leehan," Jaehyun whispered, his voice trembling.

Leehan pulled back slightly, looking into Jaehyun's eyes. "Anytime. You're my friend, and I care about you."

They resumed their walk, the lodge now coming into view. The weight of the moment lingered, but Jaehyun felt a bit lighter, knowing that Leehan cared about him, even if it wasn't in the way he hoped for.

As they reached the lodge, Jaehyun took a deep breath, steeling himself for the last day of their trip. He would cherish every remaining moment, holding onto the memories and the bond they shared, no matter how bittersweet.

• ─────────── •

Jaehyun woke up the next morning feeling a heavy weight on his chest. The events of the previous night lingered in his mind, and the sadness he had tried to hide from Leehan now seemed impossible to shake off. The reality that today was their last day before returning to school, and that Leehan would soon reunite with Hana, loomed over him like a dark cloud.

He lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to gather the strength to get up. The thought of facing Leehan and their friends filled him with a mix of dread and exhaustion. He could hear the others stirring in the lodge, their voices muffled through the walls.

"Hey, Jaehyun, you awake?" Leehan's voice broke through his thoughts, gentle yet insistent.

Jaehyun took a deep breath and forced himself to sit up. "Yeah, I'm up."

Leehan entered the room, a concerned look on his face. "You sure you're okay? You didn't seem yourself last night."

Jaehyun offered a weak smile, trying to brush off his friend's worry. "I'm fine, just a little tired. I guess all the excitement caught up with me."

Leehan nodded, though he didn't look entirely convinced. "Alright. We're planning to go for breakfast soon. Do you want to join us?"

Jaehyun hesitated, but then he nodded. "Yeah, I'll be there in a minute."

Leehan left the room, and Jaehyun took a moment to compose himself. He splashed some cold water on his face and got dressed, trying to push his emotions aside. He couldn't let his feelings ruin their last day together.

At breakfast, the atmosphere was lively. Taesan and Woonhak were recounting their adventures on the advanced slopes, while Riwoo and Sungho discussed their plans for the dance club's upcoming competition. Leehan was engaged in the conversation, but he kept glancing at Jaehyun, his concern evident.

Jaehyun picked at his food, his appetite gone. He tried to join in the conversation, but his heart wasn't in it. The sadness and anxiety from the previous night clung to him, making it hard to focus on anything else.

"Jaehyun, you really don't look well," Sungho said, frowning. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Jaehyun forced another smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just didn't sleep well, I guess."

Leehan's expression softened. "Maybe you should take it easy today. We can just relax around the lodge if you want."

Jaehyun shook his head. "No, it's okay. I don't want to ruin the last day. Let's stick to the plan."

The group exchanged worried looks but eventually nodded. They spent the day exploring more of the resort, visiting the souvenir shops, and taking a few more runs on the slopes. Jaehyun tried to enjoy the activities, but his heart wasn't in it.

As the day wore on, Jaehyun found himself lagging behind the group. Leehan stayed by his side, offering silent support. Despite his efforts to keep his feelings hidden, Jaehyun's sadness was palpable, and it weighed heavily on the entire group.

In the afternoon, they returned to the lodge to pack their things. Jaehyun moved through the motions mechanically, his mind elsewhere. He couldn't shake the feeling of impending loss, the knowledge that everything would change once they returned to school.

Leehan approached him, a look of determination in his eyes. "Jaehyun, we need to talk."

Jaehyun's heart sank. He wasn't ready to face this conversation, but he knew he couldn't avoid it any longer. He nodded and followed Leehan outside to a quiet spot by the lodge.

"Jaehyun, I know something's been bothering you," Leehan said, his voice gentle but firm. "You can talk to me. Whatever it is, I'm here for you."

Jaehyun looked away, tears welling up in his eyes. "It's just... hard. Knowing that things will go back to normal tomorrow. It makes me sad, and I don't know how to deal with it."

Leehan's expression softened, and he placed a reassuring hand on Jaehyun's shoulder. "I get that. But you're strong, Jaehyun. That's not going to change. And I'm here for you, no matter what."

Jaehyun nodded, grateful for Leehan's support. "Thanks, Leehan. It means a lot."

They stood there for a moment, the weight of their conversation hanging in the air. Despite the sadness, Jaehyun felt a glimmer of hope. He knew he had to find a way to navigate his feelings, but for now, he was thankful for the bond he shared with Leehan.

As they headed back inside, Jaehyun felt a sense of resolve. He would cherish the memories of this trip and hold onto the support of his friends. No matter what the future held, he knew he wasn't alone.

• ─────────── •