Chapter 18

Leehan sat at his usual spot in the bustling campus café, absently stirring his coffee. His eyes scanned the room, lingering on the entrance as he waited for Jaehyun to arrive. They used to meet here almost every day after classes, but lately, Jaehyun had been scarce.

He sighed, taking a sip of his coffee, the warmth doing little to alleviate the growing concern in his chest. Ever since the night of the date with Hana, something had felt off. Jaehyun had been distant, always busy with study groups, dance practice, or some other commitment. Leehan couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

• ─────────── •

In classes, Leehan noticed that Jaehyun no longer sat next to him. During lunch breaks, Jaehyun was always with Riwoo and Sungho, rarely joining their usual group. Even their casual conversations had dwindled to polite, surface-level exchanges.

One evening, as Leehan walked back to his dorm, he saw Jaehyun and Riwoo exiting the dance studio. Jaehyun's laughter echoed down the hallway, but when he caught sight of Leehan, his smile faltered.

"Hey, Jaehyun!" Leehan called out, jogging over to them.

Jaehyun's smile returned, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Hey, Leehan. What's up?"

Leehan tried to keep his tone light. "Just wondering if you're free to grab dinner. It's been a while."

Jaehyun glanced at Riwoo, who gave him a supportive nod. "Uh, actually, I have some stuff to finish up with the dance team. Maybe another time?"

Leehan's heart sank, but he forced a smile. "Sure, no problem. Catch you later, then."

As he walked away, Leehan's mind raced. Jaehyun was clearly avoiding him, but why? Had he done something wrong?

• ─────────── •

Determined to get to the bottom of it, Leehan decided to confront Jaehyun. He waited until he knew Jaehyun would be alone, finding him in the library one afternoon, buried in his books.

"Jaehyun," Leehan said softly, taking a seat across from him.

Jaehyun looked up, surprised. "Leehan? What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk," Leehan said, his tone serious. "What's going on with you? Why have you been avoiding me?"

Jaehyun's eyes widened, and he quickly looked away. "I'm not avoiding you. I've just been really busy."

Leehan leaned forward, his voice low and earnest. "Don't lie to me, Jaehyun. I know you too well. Something's changed, and I need to know why."

Jaehyun took a deep breath, his expression pained. "Leehan, I promise, it's nothing you did. I've just been...dealing with some stuff. Personal things."

Leehan frowned, not satisfied with the vague answer. "What kind of personal things? We're friends, Jaehyun. You can talk to me."

Jaehyun shook his head, his eyes pleading. "I can't, Leehan. Please, just trust me on this. I need some space to figure things out."

Leehan's heart ached at the sight of his friend's distress. He wanted to press further, but he could see that Jaehyun was struggling. Reluctantly, he nodded. "Okay, Jaehyun. I'll give you space. But know that I'm here for you, no matter what."

Jaehyun's shoulders relaxed slightly, and he gave Leehan a grateful, albeit strained, smile. "Thanks, Leehan. I appreciate it."

• ─────────── •