Chapter 36

Leehan planned his approach with determination, hoping to finally talk to Jaehyun and sort through his newfound feelings. He rehearsed his words, his heart pounding with a mix of anticipation and anxiety.

Leehan spotted Jaehyun in the hallway, but as soon as Jaehyun saw him, he turned and fled. Leehan chased after him, weaving through students and darting down corridors, but every time he got close, Jaehyun slipped away.

The library seemed like the perfect place. Leehan saw Jaehyun enter and followed him in, quietly closing the distance. Just as Jaehyun was cornered, looking for a way out among the tall stacks of books, Riwoo and Sungho appeared.

"Leave him alone, Leehan," Riwoo said sternly, standing firm in front of Leehan with Sungho by his side.

Leehan's frustration boiled over. "I just need to talk to him. Please," he pleaded, his voice strained with desperation.

Riwoo shook his head. "You've hurt him enough. He needs space."

Leehan's hands balled into fists. "You don't understand. I need to make things right. I... I care about him."

"Then respect his wishes," Sungho interjected. "If you truly care, you'll give him the time he needs."

Leehan glanced over their shoulders, catching a glimpse of Jaehyun. Jaehyun's eyes were downcast, avoiding his gaze entirely. The sight crushed him, and his anger deflated into a heavy sigh.

"Fine," Leehan muttered, turning on his heel and walking away, feeling defeated. His heart ached, knowing Jaehyun couldn't even bear to look at him. He exited the library, the sense of loss overwhelming him.

• ─────────── •

Jaehyun, Hanbin, Riwoo, and Sungho were walking together when they spotted Hana sitting on a bench, looking despondent. Jaehyun felt a pang of concern and approached her.

"Hey, Hana," Jaehyun greeted softly. "What happened last night?"

Hana's eyes widened in surprise and anger. She stood abruptly, slapped Jaehyun across the face, and grabbed his arm, dragging him away. Hanbin and Jaehyun's friends immediately moved to intervene, but Jaehyun shook his head at them, signaling them to stay back.

Hana led Jaehyun to a secluded spot behind the building. She released him and turned away, her shoulders trembling. Jaehyun braced himself, expecting another outburst, but instead, she started to cry, her fists clenched tightly at her sides.

"Hana..." Jaehyun began, stepping closer.

Before he could say more, Hana spun around and hugged him tightly, her tears soaking into his shirt. "I'm sorry, Jaehyun. I'm so sorry."

Jaehyun was stunned, his arms hovering awkwardly before he wrapped them around her gently. "Why are you apologizing?"

Hana pulled back slightly, looking up at him with tear-streaked cheeks. "You've been so kind, so selfless. You've done everything to make me and Leehan happy. But... I realized something last night."

Jaehyun's heart pounded in his chest. "What do you mean?"

Hana took a deep breath, steadying herself. "Leehan loves someone else more than he loves me."

Jaehyun's eyes widened in shock. "Who--? But Hana, that's not true. He loves you. He's always loved you."

Hana shook her head sadly. "No, Jaehyun. I see it now. I was envious, but now I just want him to be happy."

Jaehyun's mind raced. "I don't understand what you mean, but you can't just end things with him. Maybe it's just a phase, a misunderstanding."

Hana sighed, her expression filled with sorrow. "I want to end things with him, Jaehyun. I can't be with someone whose love and attention can't be reciprocated. But I need to be sure."

Jaehyun's guilt and confusion deepened. "No, don't do that. We can fix this. I'll help you. We can make this work."

Hana looked at him with a glimmer of hope. "One last time, then. Let's try to confirm Leehan's true feelings."

Jaehyun nodded, feeling a heavy weight settle on his shoulders. As Hana left, he stood there, feeling a mix of guilt and sadness. He wondered if his avoidance of Leehan had contributed to the strain in their relationship. He couldn't shake the feeling that he might be the one ruining things for them, deep in thought, as he wrestles with his conflicting emotions and the burden of his actions.

• ─────────── •