Chapter 37

Jaehyun and Hana, with the help of Riwoo and Sungho, spent the weekend meticulously preparing for another date. Hana saw it more as an "interrogation on Leehan's feelings" meeting, while Jaehyun tried to push aside his emotions to focus on helping Hana. They set up a beautiful spot with soft lighting, a small table with candles, and gentle music playing in the background.

"Are you sure this will work?" Hana asked, adjusting a candle for the fifth time.

Jaehyun nodded, though his heart was heavy. "It has to. We need to know where his heart truly lies."

As they finished the preparations, Jaehyun volunteered to fetch Leehan. He walked to Leehan's dorm, only to find it empty. Feeling a mix of anxiety and determination, he headed back, hoping to spot Leehan somewhere on campus.

Just as he was about to give up, Jaehyun saw Leehan walking towards him. Their eyes met, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still. Leehan's face lit up with a small smile as he approached Jaehyun slowly. "Hey, Jaehyun," he greeted softly.

Without a word, Jaehyun grabbed Leehan's arm and started dragging him towards their planned spot. Leehan, confused but compliant, followed without resistance. They walked in silence until they reached the place, which Jaehyun considered their dating spot.

Jaehyun released Leehan's arm and pointed towards the entrance. "Go inside," he instructed, his voice firm.

Leehan hesitated. "Aren't you coming with me?"

"No," Jaehyun replied, his stubbornness evident.

Leehan's confusion deepened. "Jaehyun, come on. Let's go in together."

Jaehyun shook his head, pushing his emotions aside. "Just go, Leehan."

Seeing that Jaehyun wouldn't budge, Leehan sighed and walked inside. As he stepped into the romantically set-up area, his eyes widened in surprise. Hana stood by the table, looking both nervous and hopeful.

"Hana," Leehan greeted, walking over to her. "This looks beautiful. What's going on?"

Hana gave him a small smile, though her eyes were filled with uncertainty. "I wanted to talk to you, Leehan. About us. About everything."

Leehan and Hana stood together in the romantic setting, ready to delve into a conversation that could change everything. Outside, Jaehyun stood by the entrance, his heart heavy with the weight of his own feelings, hoping that this would bring clarity to the tangled web of emotions they all found themselves in.

• ─────────── •

Leehan and Hana sat at the table, the romantic ambiance contrasting sharply with the tension between them. Hana's hands fidgeted with the edge of the tablecloth, her eyes flicking up to meet Leehan's uncertain gaze.

"Hana, what's this all about?" Leehan finally asked, his voice barely masking the anxiety he felt.

Hana took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts. "Leehan, I've been overthinking everything lately, and I can't keep it inside anymore. I saw something the other night during our date. I saw Jaehyun... and I heard what he said about his feelings for you."

Leehan's eyes widened in shock. "What do you mean? What did Jaehyun say?"

"He poured out his heart, Leehan," Hana continued, her voice wavering. "He talked about how much he cares for you, how he's been hurting because of you. And it made me realize... I've been feeling something was off between us for a while now."

Leehan's heart pounded in his chest. "Hana, I didn't know... I never wanted to hurt you."

Hana shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes. "I know you didn't. But I've been watching you, Leehan. Watching how you look at Jaehyun, how you react when he's around. I finally understood why you've been so distant."

Leehan was speechless, struggling to find the right words. "Hana, I..."

She cut him off, her voice firm but full of sorrow. "Leehan, do you love me or Jaehyun?"

The question hung in the air, heavy and suffocating. Leehan's mind raced, memories of Jaehyun and Hana flashing through his mind. He couldn't choose; his feelings were a tangled mess of confusion and guilt.

Hana saw the turmoil in his eyes and sighed. "I'm envious of Jaehyun, Leehan. He's everything I wish I could be. Kind, selfless, always putting others before himself. And I see how he attracts you, how he makes you feel things I apparently can't."

Tears began to fall from Hana's eyes, and Leehan felt a stab of guilt. "Hana, I'm so sorry. I never meant to make you feel this way."

She wiped her tears, trying to maintain her composure. "It's not just me you need to apologize to, Leehan. Jaehyun is the one who's been suffering the most. He's the one waiting outside, right now, hoping for some kind of resolution."

Leehan's heart sank even further. Hana's next words hit him like a punch to the gut. "We should break up, Leehan."

Leehan's hand shot out, grabbing hers. "No, Hana, please. We can fix this. I don't want to lose you."

Hana gently shook off his hand, her eyes full of sadness but also a steely resolve. "Leehan, it's too late for us. You've already lost me, and I think you know why."

Leehan watched helplessly as Hana stood up and walked towards the door. He called out after her, but his voice was weak, lacking the conviction to stop her. She paused at the doorway, turning back to him one last time.

"Look after him, Leehan," she said softly. "He needs you more than I ever did."

Hana walked out, leaving Leehan standing there, feeling more alone than ever. As she stepped outside, she saw Jaehyun still waiting, anxiety etched on his face. She stopped in front of him, her expression softening.

"Take care of him, Jaehyun," she said, her voice trembling. "He needs you."

Jaehyun's eyes widened in surprise. "Hana, wait. Don't go."

But Hana was already walking away, her figure disappearing into the distance. Panic gripped Jaehyun's heart as he peeked inside, seeing Leehan's silhouette moving towards the door. His flight response kicked in, and he turned to run.

Leehan's hand shot out, grabbing Jaehyun's wrist. "Jaehyun, please. Don't run away this time."

Jaehyun's heart pounded in his chest as he tried to pull away. "Leehan, you need to go after Hana. Fix things with her before it's too late."

Leehan's grip tightened, his eyes pleading. "No, Jaehyun. I can't lose you too. Please, stay with me."

Jaehyun used all his strength to break free from Leehan's grip, tears streaming down his face. "Leehan, this isn't right. You have to let me go."

He managed to slip away, running as fast as he could, his heart aching with every step. Leehan stood there, watching him go, a deep sense of loss settling over him. In that moment, he realized just how much Jaehyun meant to him, how much he truly loved him.

"I promise, Jaehyun," Leehan whispered to himself. "I'll make things right. I'll make sure you feel safe, loved, and at home with me."

As Jaehyun disappeared from sight, Leehan knew he had to find a way to prove his love, to make amends for all the pain he had caused. He walked to his car, feeling defeated but also determined. He would do whatever it took to win Jaehyun's heart and make him feel truly happy and loved.

Little did they know, Hana had heard everything. Standing around the corner, she had witnessed the entire exchange. Her heart ached for both Jaehyun and Leehan, understanding now more than ever that their love was something she could never compete with. As she walked away, she hoped that they would find the happiness they both deserved.

Leehan drives away, a newfound determination in his heart, ready to fight for Jaehyun's love and make him feel at home in his arms.

• ─────────── •