Chapter 7

Jaehyun sat in his dimly lit dorm room, the soft glow of his desk lamp casting shadows on the walls. He had declined joining his friends for a movie night, opting instead to stay back under the guise of needing to catch up on studying. In reality, he needed time alone to sort through the jumble of emotions swirling inside him.

He leaned back against the headboard of his bed, his thoughts drifting back to Leehan. Images of their time together flashed through his mind—their conversations, their shared moments of laughter, and the way Leehan's smile seemed to light up even the darkest corners of Jaehyun's heart.

Closing his eyes, Jaehyun replayed the evening's events—the easy camaraderie at dinner, the way Leehan had looked at Hana with such adoration, and the fleeting touches that spoke volumes about their bond. Each memory was a stab in his heart, a reminder of what he couldn't have.

He took a deep breath, trying to calm the storm of emotions raging inside him. He had known from the beginning that his feelings for Leehan were a risk, a delicate balance between friendship and something deeper. But seeing Leehan happy, seeing him with Hana, it was both a joy and an ache that gnawed at Jaehyun's insides.

Running a hand through his hair, Jaehyun fought back the tears that threatened to spill over. He was tired—tired of pretending, tired of hiding, tired of feeling like he was betraying his own heart. But he couldn't burden Leehan with his feelings, couldn't risk destroying the happiness Leehan had found with Hana.

The silence of the room pressed in around him, the weight of his emotions suffocating. He knew he couldn't keep avoiding his feelings forever, couldn't keep pushing them aside in the name of friendship. But for now, all he could do was sit with them, acknowledge them, and try to find a way forward.

Opening his laptop, Jaehyun pulled up a playlist of soothing music and let the gentle melodies wash over him. Music had always been a comfort, a refuge in times of turmoil. He closed his eyes again, letting the music transport him away from the ache in his heart, if only for a little while.

Hours passed in quiet contemplation, the night deepening into early morning. Jaehyun finally turned off his laptop, the music fading into silence once more. He lay back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling, his mind still buzzing with thoughts of Leehan.

"I just want you to be happy," Jaehyun whispered into the darkness, the words barely audible even to himself. "Even if it's not with me."

With that silent prayer hanging in the air, Jaehyun closed his eyes and let exhaustion pull him into a restless sleep, hoping that tomorrow would bring clarity and peace to his conflicted heart.

• ─────────── •

Another day dawned over Seoul National University, bringing with it the hustle and bustle of campus life. Students hurried to classes, exchanged greetings in the hallways, and gathered in cafes between lectures. Among them was Jaehyun, trying to maintain a facade of normalcy despite the turmoil churning inside him.

He walked with Riwoo and Sungho to their morning class, exchanging casual conversation and forcing a smile when necessary. But his friends noticed something was amiss. Riwoo glanced at Jaehyun with concern, while Sungho kept stealing worried glances at him.

"Jaehyun, are you sure you're okay?" Riwoo finally asked, his voice laced with genuine concern.

Jaehyun hesitated, unsure how much to reveal. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired, that's all."

Sungho frowned, his brow furrowing. "You've been quiet lately, more than usual. Is something bothering you?"

Jaehyun bit his lip, torn between wanting to confide in his friends and protecting them from his own struggles. "It's nothing, really. Just... personal stuff."

Riwoo stopped walking, placing a hand on Jaehyun's shoulder to make him face them. "Jaehyun, you know you can talk to us, right? Whatever it is, we're here for you."

Jaehyun looked into Riwoo's earnest eyes, feeling the weight of his friends' concern. He took a deep breath, steeling himself to open up just a little. "It's just been... hard, seeing Leehan and Hana together. I'm happy for them, I really am. But..."

"But it's also hard on you," Sungho finished gently, his voice filled with empathy.

Jaehyun nodded, relieved to have finally said it out loud. "Yeah. I know it's selfish, but I can't help how I feel."

Riwoo squeezed Jaehyun's shoulder reassuringly. "It's not selfish, Jaehyun. You're allowed to feel what you feel. It's okay to struggle with this."

Sungho nodded in agreement. "We're your friends, Jaehyun. We care about you. Let us help."

Tears welled up in Jaehyun's eyes, overwhelmed by their understanding and support. "Thank you, guys. I... I don't know what I'd do without you."

Riwoo pulled Jaehyun into a tight hug, offering silent comfort. Sungho joined in, their embrace a testament to the strength of their friendship. Jaehyun felt a wave of gratitude wash over him, grateful for their unwavering support even in his darkest moments.

As they stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, Jaehyun knew that he wasn't alone. He had friends who cared deeply about him, friends who would stand by him through thick and thin.

"I'm here for you, Jaehyun," Riwoo murmured softly.

"And me too," Sungho added, his voice steady and reassuring.

With a deep breath, Jaehyun wiped away his tears and nodded. "Thank you, both of you. I... I think I just needed to hear that."

They walked to class together, a sense of solidarity and understanding enveloping them. Jaehyun knew that he still had a long journey ahead of him, navigating his feelings for Leehan while supporting their friendship. But with Riwoo and Sungho by his side, he felt a glimmer of hope that he could find his way through the storm.

• ─────────── •