The Golden Demi God and Jessica, The Hastings, Book 3

Chapter 39

The arrival of the Lawrences.

We were just coming down for dinner when James parents decided to make an entrance. A servant hurried over to the front door carrying a lantern since all the lighting had flickered out just before we made our way down to the dinner table.

Drama, drama, and more drama!

The clock struck 7pm and we were standing behind our wooden chairs ready to be seated. I heard loud voices start to come near the formal dining room. Once the servant girl pushed open the formal dining room doors in came James mother, stepfather with his half brother and sister in tow.

"Welcome" announced Victoria coming over to where they stood in the candle light. "Please follow me and take a seat here" Victoria instructed polite asking a servant girl to take their coats into the coat room.

"Finally we see you at long last" Smiled Victoria clapping her hands to be seated. Our behinds were now plasted on the red velvet cushions of the wooden chairs.

I turned my head around to speak to mother, when her face froze in time. "Mother" I comment from across the table "what is wrong" I questioned a puzzled frown plastered over my features?

Elisabetha pushed out from the table saying to her mother, she had a headache coming on. Rising gracefully from her chair I watched mother race up the stairs pale of face.

Jessica threw a glance at her husband James smirking down at his cream of ? Soup. Jessica reached over and pinched his thigh hard, if they were in private James would have slapped his wifes butt. Only he threw Jessica a pinched look raising his eyebrows in a what question?

Leaning near him I felt all warm and fuzzy when I did, he was a scoundrel of the first order. "Do you know what is going on with my mother" I asked simply?

A light chuckle came from his mouth before James set me on the right path his lips close to my ear, he whispered soft "ask your mother Jessica" then he straightened his body going back to his sitting position.

What did he mean ask my mother about her disappearing out of sight pale of face?

I moved my eyes to all round the extra long table facing the new in laws I just met. James mother I didn't know at the moment smiled my way. His stepfather was a sturdy man taking his place next to James' mother.

I frowned really wanting to be excused from the table all of us sat around. Moving my eyes towards grandmother Devine I pleaded may I please follow mother upstairs to see what was wrong?
Victoria nodded her head in agreement so I excused myself from the table next to the husband I must sit next to by pushing the chair back and walking away to a hush of silence behind me.
Once out of eyeshot I ran up the stairs not acting lady like I was so known to act around here. When I made my way over towards the door I stood still wondering if I should barge on in or knock?
I choose to knock being a Subtle approach for interrupting my mother to act this way. No one answered the knock so I knocked again in the wooden door hearing not one tiny peep.
Knowing what needed to be done I sucked in a deep breath opening the door and stepping inside to find mother shaking next to her dresser.

"Mother" I spoke unsure if she needed me?

"Jessica" her voice sounded off to me "why did you leave dinner?"

"Because mother I was worried about you running off after setting eyes upon James' mother in particular I questioned?"

"Yes you are correct I ran from the past seeing Arabella for the first time in years Jessica."

Shock pooled inside me, how did my mother know James' mother?

"Sit down Jessica I'll tell you the story of the secret that still haunts my life."

So I climbed on the bed waiting to be told the secret story my mother Elisabetha hid from all of us.

Did James know of this I wonder?

Is this the revenge he wanted served up to me on a plate?

For now I'll listen to mothers side of the story before I let James tell me his.

"Many years ago I was made my come out in London, since Melisande and Petunia made good matches. I on the other hand wanted a different type of husband material a man I dreamt about but hadn't met yet.
After the 3rd come out I met Arabella Welby a pastors daughter who was 3 years younger than me at Bath."

"Bath" I heard my daughter Jessica repeat?

"Yes Bath Jessica, you're grandparents were sick of me knocking back every gentleman in London, so they made the switch to stay in Bath for the 3rd come out. I was only 20 still young enough to find a perfect match."

"Did you mama?"

"I'm still coming to that Jessica."

***

This chapter is not finished but I have to upload because wattpad is going stir crazy since the update.
So please bare with me. This is the only way I can stop this from happening.

This chapter is dedicated to @Cionyb for voting for my story The Werewolf Earl, The Hastings, Book 2, Bonny.
You all make me smile seeing my stories added and voted for.
I know I must write chapter 42 to this story which I will.
I still have heaps of chapters for dedications. So who wants one dedicated to them?