eight

Vic's pov

"God, I love this house" I said, sitting on the guest room's bed. The room and the bed itself weren't that big, but the atmosphere in it was still really comforting.

"Me too" Ellie said with a smile. "Was the journey okay?"

"Yeah, it's always calm until I actually get to this city and have to get out of the station and get on the subway" I nodded. As much as I loved Boston I often thought of how cool living in New York would be. But I'd also realize how chaotic everything is every time I was there, and I wasn't sure I could deal with that on a daily basis.

"It can get pretty intense, I know" she laughed lightly, sitting next to me.

"I guess you get used to it after a while"

" I would have asked Sam to come and pick you up from the station but she works until like eight"

"What? She doesn't get a break?"

"Just two days" she shrugged.

"That sucks, poor her" I said.

"I'm glad you're here because I would have otherwise been home alone all day for three days"

"I'm glad I'm here because I would have spent my break rethinking my life decisions"

"Happy I could help" she chuckled. "So you're definitely moving to another room?"

"Yeah, in like a week" I sighed. "I...I haven't told her yet. Sam, I mean. It's sometimes still weird to say that name to you because, you know"

"Hearing it is sometimes still weird too" she agreed. "But, uhm, when are you gonna tell her?"

"I'm gonna have to force myself when I get back. I don't want her to discover as I'm moving out. But I also really don't want to have that conversation"

"That's fair. You two haven't been talking much, I guess?"

"No, not really...not more than a few words at a time" I shrugged. "Not that I even really care at this point. I'm just annoyed at her"

"As you should be. I've only met her once but I hope you know I hate her now"

"El" I laughed.

"I really do. No one gets to treat my best friend like she treated you. I really hate her ass" she insisted.

"Thanks for the support" I laughed again. "I think I'm like, scared of people because of her now. I've been to a few parties in the past months, but every time someone initiates something with me I start thinking about the possibility of me getting to know them afterwards and then getting attached and being led on and then being treated like shit"

"There's nothing wrong with taking your time to get over something. And if it makes you feel so bad, random people you meet at a party are definitely not gonna help"

"I know... I just need to distract myself from life sometimes. And the quickest way to do that which isn't talking to you involves alcohol and kissing strangers. Or I thought it was, at least"

"Oh, uhm, speaking of. Mei asked if we wanted to hang out with her this evening. I told her you're in town for a few days "

"Oh. Of course" I mumbled, confused at the effect hearing that name had on me, and trying to ignore the fact that I was kind of hoping I'd get to see Mei during those days.

"Don't worry, nothing that requires too much mental energy" she added, probably misinterpreting the look on my face. "There's a nice bar near here, we've been there a few times. She suggested it because she's apparently tired of staying out all night and getting wasted every weekend. Her words"