36. just a minute longer?

I'm just closing up before heading home

I'm just closing up before heading home. And when I walk into Studio A, that's when I see Presley. She's stood in the middle of the room, rehearsing what seems to be the dance that Michelle has started to teach the group. She looks really focused, and if it weren't for the fact that I was leaving, I would've left her be.

Suddenly, she notices me and she seems a little embarrassed.

"Emily?" She says "I- I thought you'd left already."

"With the studio still open? Of course I hadn't left yet" I say.

And then I decide to ask her what she's doing here "Presley, shouldn't you be home? Rehearsals finished hours ago, it's nine o'clock."

She shakes her head "I should've but I wanted to stay late to have the studio to myself."

"Presley, your mom is gonna be worried sick! She would've expected you home by now!"

She shrugs "I know, I just wanted some more rehearsal time, that's all."

"I- it's really dark outside. Were you gonna attempt to walk all the way? You're only twelve, it's not safe for you to be out alone at night." I show my concern.

"I was going to, yeah." She says.

"Nu-uh, I'm taking you myself." I tell her, grabbing my car keys out of my bag "I won't let you walk in the dark. Your mom might, but I won't."

"My mom wouldn't." She assures me "She's gonna be really, really mad at me when I get home."

"And so she should be!" I try to show her that this is really serious "Any mother would be furious if their child did something like this without telling them."

I watch as Presley walks over to the benches, grabbing her dance shoes off of the floor and changing into them. I take a look at her backpack, trying to get to know what sort of things that she's into. I don't know why but it's just a habit of mine that I've acquired.

"Are you almost done?" I ask her, needing to leave but not wanting to pressure her to move faster.

Kids can be a little slow sometimes, especially when it comes to putting on their shoes.

"Yup! I just need to tie my laces!" She tells me.

"Okay, take your time."

It doesn't feel weird to give Presley a ride home. I know that I shouldn't be talking to her but I can't just leave her here. Plus, I've driven other dancers before. This is nothing different, right?

She then stands up, grabbing her backpack and throwing it over her shoulder. And after a quick smile, she tells me that she's ready to leave. So I then quickly lock up the studio, making sure that there's not the slightest chance of someone trespassing.

I notice how Presley watches me attentively. I can tell that she looks up to me and I want to be a good role model for her.

"Come on then, let's get going." I announce.