Chapter-67: A Dispute Between The Brothers.

Atul stands in front of the burning body in front of him with tears still running down his face. 5 years ago, when Ketki told him about the abuse, he was so shocked. Ketki was really good at hiding that despite being her brother and seeing her often, he could not see any signs. After getting married, Ketki slowly grew distant from him, but he thought it was because of the new responsibilities of being a wife, daughter-in-law and mother. Her visits to their home became less frequent and with time she pushed herself away so far that when Atul questioned why she was being so distant, she got offended for having to hear this from a man who could neither manage his business, nor his family. Atul was so hurt by her words that he pulled away from her as well until 5 years ago, he got a call from his sister who was panting into the phone as she pleaded with him to meet her. He immediately went to her apartment, which was empty, to find his sister curled up on the sofa.

That night, he asked her no questions, as he held her in his arms. As the sun rose, he got his answer and would've ripped apart the man responsible for this state of his sister that day if it hadn't been for his sister who stopped him. She begged him not to blow this out of proportion, at least not until she got her daughter back and that was not an easy task.

"Why?" Atul asked at the time and the answer he got is the one that hung onto his soul till date. Now she was burning along with those secrets she was burdened to bear, but Atul will have to carry them for the rest of his life. Does he?

"Abhir!" Kaushal's words snap Atul out of the dark memories. He turns around to find his brother sprinting towards them with an expression of distraught. Atul feels hatred spark in him at the sight of the man. He knows deep doubt, that Abhir was not at fault. Abhir doesn't even know that he is the reason Ketki is no longer with them. Abhir doesn't know everything. He knows Abhir had so many scars in his heart because of this family. Atul knows it, but his sister's scars were bigger, deeper and more painful to him. He couldn't help the rage that grew in him for his brother, who remains oblivious to everything.

Abhir stops in front of them, looking at the fire that covered the wood stage fully. The look of devastation on his face for not being able to see her one last time burned his conscience. He took the earliest and fastest flight and took a bike ride to get here as soon as humanly possible, but he was still late. The last time he saw her, she was the happiest bride in the world. He would've never thought that that smile would never be seen again. When Atul got married, no one even invited him. Later he got to know, that Ketki was supposed to tell him, but she didn't. When he called her to ask why she didn't invite or even inform him, she didn't take his calls until one day, she did, only to tell him to stay away from them. Some goodbyes just become useless over time, Abhir realised.

A panting Abhir walks towards the fire, to get the lightest sight of her, but Atul holds his hand out as a barrier. Abhir is so lost in the sight in front of him that he doesn't even notice the hand. He bumps into the hand and finally notices Atul standing beside him.

"Atul?" His brother, now aged into a strong 45-year-old adult, looked at him blankly. Abhir places his palm over Atul's cheek as he scans his face. "How...?" Abhir's eyes shined with fresh tears over seeing his brother. Atul pushes Abhir's hand away as he bites his jaw.

"Why are you here?" Atul's question strikes Abhir like a dagger to his heart.

"She's my sister, Atul. Of course, I'd be here at any cost."

"You weren't here for her wedding." Abhir's eyes widen at Atul's accusation.

"You Know Why!" Abhir exclaims. "The company was-"

"And my wedding?"

"Ketki didn't-"

"Don't say her name." Atul grits out. Atul is walking towards Abhir with each sentence as if to challenge him.