Chapter 0: The start at the end.

3 years 3 days After the Fall:

"Keep going!" I yelled, forcing down the desperation that clung to my chest. I couldn't let the others know just how bad things were. In the end all we really had left was hope.

"There's a room up ahead!" Vanter shouted from the front of our group. "I can't see another path."

"Then take it," I called back and took a moment to turn around. The stone passage that surrounded us was beaten down from time and conflict, where once it told a story, the engraved details were no longer legible. On top its ceiling regular blocks of light lit up the surrounds. The passage while interesting wasn't however what my attention was drawn to. No, it was the creatures that followed us. They differed in size and shape but were all made of that now terrifying ceramic white bone. Some stood on two legs and looked like demented humanoids, white blades for arms and black holes marring what should be eyes and other details. Then there those that were shaped liked insects clacking on the ground as their sharp appendages scraped against the stone. They came in many forms but we knew them as Rift Walkers, creatures... things that came beyond our world and from the Rift between. The very beings that had ended our world.

"Ardent we're almost there," Vanter began to slow as the others kept moving ahead.

"Ana, Quyen, Greg, secure the room and start searching for a way out. Aria prepare a barrier. Vanter, Shin you're with me. Let's buy some time," I relayed my command and as the others went ahead, I slowed beside Vanter.

He showed a callous grin as he drew his bow, "Time to break some eggs." The metallic bow was far beyond what would be considered regular. An amalgamation of technology from the various surviving races, it burned bright as an arrow of light appeared. He fired into the skittering crowd of Rift Walkers. The few at the front took the brunt of the explosive power and were thrown back, shattered and bleeding black filth before dissolving to dust. Without pause however they were replaced. Vanter continued to fire.

"Ha!" Shin laughed, "Not bad for an elf. Though, you should upgrade." He postured his rifle and fired down the corridor. The hail of bullets collided with the Rift Walkers like a sudden wall. While seemingly haphazard, each bullet targeted their weak points for maximal effect.

"Just don't miss," Vanter spoke as we slowly retreated to the entrance of the room where the others waited.

I finally heaved a deep breath, "I'm done." My breath leaked an icy grate as the very air began to chill. I threw a canister from my hip, watching it clink off the ground and suddenly explode, letting out an immense volume of water. The wave filled the passage and as it swept into the white abominations, ice followed as I released the pent-up energy I had been forming into a spell. In the blink of an eye they had been frozen.

I grit my teeth, "Sorry it took longer than usual." It wouldn't hold either. The depth of that spell only impacted the first few metres. The column that was chasing us was much longer and they'd chip through the ice quickly.

Vanter glanced down at my side, "Your injury?"

"The suit stopped the bleeding. I'll live for now." I led the two into the room. "Aria?"

"I'm done as well," she raised her staff to the ceiling and an opaque barrier blocked the passage. "We're only dealing with rank 6s and 7s. I should be able to hold for half an hour at least."

"Good," I sighed and wiped the sweat from my brow. Before anything else I checked the condition of our crew. Seven members that somehow held together alone for three months now. Forward Recon Team Hope, codename: Friends. The codename came from my surname, Friend. Considering I was the Captain and Aria was my sister and our shining star member, it fit well.