Chapter 27: Specks of the past (Part 1)

2 years 8 months after the Fall:

"Our dungeon is dying," Elisa, the acting leader of our dungeon, spoke determined. "If we don't do something soon, we'll have no choice but to find a new home."

The meeting room was tense. They were words none of us wanted to hear.

"Elisa, we can't leave," I spoke. "You're attached to the dungeon. You'll die if you leave for too long."

"I can't leave but you all can," she replied sternly. "That being said, leaving will only be in the worst-case scenario. Our dungeon is well hidden and safe from Rift Walkers. We've all spent tremendous effort improving it to what it is now."

The gruff voice of a dwarf answered, "Get to the point. We've all felt the energy in here wane. Just tell us why."

Elisa nodded, "It's due to the desert. The sands are spreading and though they may still be far, the decay has reached our home. Our teams have already reported dungeons closer to the desert turning malicious."

"What about the Great Barrier?" an elven women asked. "It may not be maintained anymore, but we could fix it."

"No can do," a team captain similar to my own position shook his head. "The barrier is swarming with Rift Walkers. We even spotted multiple rank 10s. It's too risky and too open."

"Then what do we do?" a concerned voice shook.

Elisa eyes met mine, "Ardent."

I nodded, her eyes telling me all I needed to know, "We remove the source of the desert and attack the Sand's Heart."

"That's impossible," a man immediately replied. "The Sand's Heart is one of the Great Uncleared Dungeons. What chance would we have?"

"We have a chance," Elisa spoke calmly. "After all, we have Aria."

"Aria...," I spoke my sister's name slowly. "We'll do our best."

**

Paruvan, the only city to exist in the Destrian Desert. While there were several smaller towns or outposts, Paruvan was a full scale city that could compete quite well against those in Crysis. What it lacked in facilities and class it made up for with the sheer desire to survive. Built on top a rocky plateau, it oversaw a large area of the desert and acted as a shining guiding light for those travelling at night. Stone block houses lined the city streets, stacked row upon row, sturdy to stand against the regular sandstorms. Though mostly plain, splashes of colour ordained the city through flags hung upon the buildings to signify the various guilds that worked the streets.

To accompany the hardy city an equally hardy people lived there. Trade between the City and more abundant locations such as Crysis was rare. The people lived on the few fruits and vegetables that grew and hunted the seemingly never-ending surrounding beasts and monsters for meat. While some could look down upon Paruvan's residents as misfortunate, they could never be underestimated. Their sheer strength of will livened the city surrounds and unlike the safer areas of Areithia, players were quick to realise that survival of the fittest was a rule readily used in Paruvan. Though they helped each other, it was all to survive and some preferred to survive in better conditions.

"Paruvan," Vanter stared at the city from below the plateau. "It's been a long time hasn't it."

"Yeah, kind of nostalgic isn't it," I replied. "One of the only cities to survive the Fall without a dungeon to keep them safe."