Chapter 15: Changing history

8 months before the Fall:

"Hey there, you look like you could use a drink," the man suddenly barged into my mind as I flinched awake on my chair. He laughed, "Sorry didn't realise you were sleeping."

"It's been a long few days," I breathed out tiredly.

"Name's Vanter," the man offered his hand and I looked up towards him. He was an elf, and a damn handsome one. Elves were generally quite the fair race, but unlike some who had a more feminine beauty, Vanter's face was still quite rugged. Light blonde hair that had been combed back into a neat tail and dazzling orange eyes that no ordinary human would have.

"I'm Ardent," I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you."

Vanter sat in the chair beside me, "So what do you do around here?"

"Me? I kind of got roped into being a diplomat, it's been quite a lot of work."

Vanter laughed and slapped my chair, "Same here! Since the Merge it feels like I've had way too much work, and our side knew it was going to happen."

I sighed, "Yep. It's been a huge change. I'm glad at least it's not just Earth's side that's being overworked."

He nodded, "So how about that drink? I assume you were a player, right? Let me tell you, visiting Crysis in the game is one thing, but you just can't replicate the real dwarven fire ale. I know a good place."

I looked around. I was on break and could see none of my superiors. We also didn't have any meetings till the next morning.

"You know what, you're on," I stood up.

"You won't regret it," Vanter grinned. I would later very much regret it and so would Vanter as the two of us were berated by our superiors the next morning. I had however, met the elf who would be my best friend.

*

Ardent Friend:

"So this is the one?" Professor Grayton asked me, his hands folded in contemplation, staring at the paper stack in front of him. It had been a week since my victory and we had been working incredibly hard weeding through the offers to sponsor our new Virtual Body Helm technology.

"I think they're the right fit," I nodded.

"GrayTech Industries," he smirked. "If anything I appreciate the name. They have an international presence and a good track record."

"But," Rashan, the lab manager, pointed out, "compared to the others, GrayTech is small. We could spread the Virtual Body Helm much faster and wider if we go with a larger company."

We had already been through this type of conversation dozens of times and each time I had to try convincing the others with knowledge only I knew. In the past we had gone with a larger company but in the end the technology was out of our hands and the price jacked up to near that of the VRPs. Instead of being sold as a more convenient and cheaper alternative that had overall less power, they were marketed solely for their convenience factor. In the end however we didn't see much reward as the Merge occurred.

After a week of back and forth however I had already made my case well. Sarah shook her head,

"Rashan, we've been over this. If we want this technology to live up to what we want it to be, we have to choose wisely. We'll make a good amount of money either way and enough to keep our research going."