Chapter 14: Time passing. (Part 1)

Chapter 16: Time passing.

1 year, 6 months after the Fall:

Aria couldn't stop her tears. She sat on the cold stone floor, curled against the floor.

"Endi..., Endi, why?" her mumbling barely coherent as she mourned the loss of her best friend. "Why couldn't we-."

Across the room Vanter had broken a fist sized hole in the wall. His face refused to look away from the solid surface, on the floor beneath his feet were drying drops of tears. We were all a mess. Ever since we learned how sick Endi was, how she'd eventually die, we tried everything we could. The sight now was the ultimate result. Shin, already on his second bottle of liquor. Ana staring into her hands. Then there was me, my chest hollow. It felt like my heart had been ripped from my body. I had already cried enough as she died. Now that it had passed, it felt like I had nothing left to give.

An alarm blared and all at once our mourning was cut short. We each looked at each other with groggy expressions, minds kicking into gear. We were under attack and all hands were needed.

"Fucking bullshit," Shin swore and threw his half-drunk bottle against the wall. "Can't even respect the dead in peace."

Vanter's eyes became firm, "At least it'll distract me."

Aria stood up, her tears stopped, "I'll destroy them all." A staff appeared in her hands, already charged red.

"Everyone we can't let our emotions control us," Ana slowly stood up and offered a word of warning, "But as long as we remain clear of mind. Let's break some of these white bastards!"

I looked one more time at where Endithalia laid dead, her body covered in fine purple silk. "Let's move." This was the world we lived in. A world I wished was different.

*

Aria Friend:

My name is Aria Friend. I am 17 years old and in my final year of the illustrious Bismark College. It was and remained the top school of our city for the past 50 years. It was not the same school my brother attended, but one he had wanted to. In the end it was I who earned their scholarship. Despite having little money, my tuition, materials and even meals were paid for. You could say I was incredibly blessed for the opportunity.

My day began a little differently than before the holidays. I woke, showered, got dressed and had breakfast. That remained the same. What was different was my escort. The first day of the school year and despite my complaints my brother, Ardy, had insisted to walk me to the bus. It wasn't the first time he had done so, but since his change the prior year, he had become quite eye catching. As much as I was proud of him, it was also rather conspicuous.

"Aria make sure you call me if anything happens okay?" he said uneasily as we stood waiting for the bus.

"I will," I replied with a stiff sigh.

"Watch yourself at school. As far as we know, you're still on that kidnapping list."

"I know," I couldn't help roll my eyes. I knew it was serious, but it was still a drag.

"Then have a good day." A gentle hand suddenly plopped onto my head. The familiar comfort made me smile.

"I will," I turned to my brother still smiling. He had really changed. He was always reliable and kind, but now he looked like some kind of superhero gone undercover. I pushed off his hand, "God, you really need to get a girlfriend."