Chapter 1: The world as we knew it. (Part 1)

"Ardy, wake up," the voice called but I refused. I was incredibly comfortable. In fact, to say that I had never felt so comfortable in my entire life wouldn't be an understatement. When was the last time I had felt so relaxed? Was dying really that great?

"If you don't get up, I'll start taking drastic measures."

I continued to ignore the calls. They felt so far away compared to the soft feeling of warmth around me.

"You asked for it."

"Gah!" I let out the involuntary gasp as suddenly a heavy weight pressed against my stomach. My eyes shot open. An attack? Was I still alive? Whatever it was I had to react. My brain and vision felt slow and my body sluggish but I forced it to move, grabbing the blankets that covered me and throwing them around the perpetrator.

"H-hey!" they tumbled to the ground from their position on top of me.

I jumped off the bed I had been lying on and quickly took in my surroundings. That's when I paused. I had to. What I saw was so far from my expectations that it denied the very reality I had built. A decent sized room painted in a light blue. Two beds on either side and separating them two desks. In the middle of the room was a half-drawn curtain that could split it in two. The decorations on one side metallic posters of various fantasy and game arts, a stacked bookshelf and the occasional photo. The other side, a large framed painted landscape of an imaginary world and across the shelving a few too many soft toys to fit comfortably. It was my room. It was our room. The room I shared with my sister for so much of my life.

The bundled up perpetrator finally unwrapped themselves. Black hair, green eyes and skin just on the paler side. Beautiful yet cute features that my dad described as just like her mothers. Her face was plumper, and her hair had returned to black, overall she looked younger but regardless there was no denying it.

"Aria!" I picked her off the ground before she could say a thing. My arms wrapped around her and lifted her in a tight hug as I spun from the happiness to see her again. The vision of seeing her impaled across the floor, those bright eyes that had faded, the sight haunted me but to think she was still alive.

"W-what are you doing," she tried to pry herself free. "I'm sorry I jumped on you. It was a joke!"

I looked up at her, "What happened to you? Your hair... and, did you get heavier?"

"Excuse me!?" clear anger and embarrassment crossed her expression as she shoved me off. "I-I've been working out more. It's muscle! Y-you should look at yourself before saying anything to me."

"Sorry that was rude," I apologised still smiling. She was right. My body didn't feel comfortable. It felt heavy. I clenched my hand and turned to the mirror on the other side of the room. "What the...." My hand shot to my face. There was a plumpness to it, my skin was smooth and the scars that had built up over time were gone. Realisation struck and forced me to laugh coldly. This was all a dream. The Aria beside me just a ghost. A pleasant dream before my existence disappeared.

"Umm Ardy what's up with you?" Aria asked concerned.

"I'm fine...," I replied accepting what I saw.

"Well breakfast is nearly done. Dad's at the table already."

"Dad...," I smiled. I'd get to see my father before it all ended. "Yeah, I'll come soon."

Aria paused before she left, "Are you sure you're alright? I didn't jump on you too hard, did I?"

"No, I'm just feeling a bit nostalgic right now."

"Okay..., I'm going to make you some coffee."

I couldn't help laugh, "Please and thank you."