Chapter 21: Another turn (Part 2)

Side Story: Aria and Endi's first day.

Aria Friend:

"Okay let's do this!" I put on the headset and placed myself comfortably on the couch. The log in process began and I felt my body loosen before suddenly I was in the Virtual Reality space. The various applications appeared and I immediately selected Areithia Online. The world broke away as I was prompted to create a character and after a few button presses everything came together.

I stood alone in a dark empty space, above me the light of millions of stars shown down like tiny specks. I looked down to see my feet submerged ankle-deep in water flowing slowly to a place I couldn't see. I had heard that the character creation for each person was slightly different but usually an amazing view or place. Where I was now felt different to what I expected. It felt vast to the point I couldn't comprehend it, but beneath I felt a loneliness that struck me more than I thought it would. It felt familiar, like I had been there before. It reminded me of the dream I had when I was at the hospital. My brother dying... and now that I recall, Vanter as well.

Suddenly everything brightened and the scenery was replaced by a wide field of flowers under the bright shining sun.

"Oh, that's much better," I exclaimed and enjoyed the feel of the sun on my skin and the grass between my toes.

The character creation screen appeared and I saw myself. At first I was a bit confused, Ardent had said that the VBH couldn't replicate the user as well as the VRP but the version of myself I saw in the mirror like interface was pretty spot on. Then again, it looked I was a bit more muscular and a bit older, my hair as well was bleached white instead of mostly black.

"I like it," I nodded and clicked confirm. It was a version of me I somehow hoped I'd look like in the coming few years. With that done I quickly chose my starting location and equipment, not wanting to keep Endi waiting.

The introduction of Areithia Online played out and I nodded along with the story. It was interesting but I was more keen to get into the game itself. The world eventually began to come into view and I appeared in the centre of the port city of Teremire. What struck me first was the salt on the breeze blowing in from the ocean not far away. Next was the sound of the living city, the mumble of speech that reached my ears and the tapping of shoes on the cobblestone road. My eyes took in the influx of people, players and NPCs all around. Despite us logging in during the evening, in Teremire it was still midday.

"Wow," I opened my mouth amazed. It felt more real than the videos did them credit for. I took a deep breath in and felt my chest full of not just air but something else. I felt invigorated by an energy I had never experienced before yet somehow felt natural to me.

"That's mana," Endi's voice came from beside me.

I jumped, surprised by her sudden appearance, "Oh hey." She looked the same as in the real world. I guess when you were already gorgeous, there was no reason to change anything. "Um what's mana?"

"The feeling in your body that feels like its centring on your chest," Endi poked my centre. "It's funny right?"

"Funny but nice," I agreed. The feeling fit nicely, like a missing piece of a puzzle that was finally found. "So should we try out the tutorial quest or get straight into it?"

"Hmmm, I think I know enough about the game to get by. I heard the tutorial can be a bit long. You do get some bonus gear from it though."

"Let's just get straight into it," I pumped my arms. "I wanna kill some monsters."

"Mmhmm," Endi eyed me with a sly smirk. "Okay then, let's see how well you'll do. I'm not going to help for the first one."