Chapter 1: The world as we knew it. (Part 2)

"Ice cream after breakfast... this can't be healthy," Aria looked at her own ice cream as we walked to the bus stop. "And it's the expensive kind too."

"A treat like this now and then isn't too bad," I continued to enjoy my own as well, enjoying the creamy and sweet textures that I hadn't experiences in a long while. Though Aria called it expensive, that referred to convenient store ice cream that cost $3 a piece rather than supermarket prices where you buy a box for a dollar more. Considering my savings however, it was definitely a treat.

"You didn't need to walk me to the bus though," Aria grumbled between bites.

"Are you embarrassed?" I teased in reply.

"No!" she adamantly responded. "I'm happy that you took the time, however don't you have better things to do on your holidays? Weren't you planning to play that new game with your friends today?"

"Ah yeah," I had forgotten about that. When I returned home, I'd need to check my phone for any other plans that I couldn't remember. "Still, it's been getting dangerous around here lately. I'll try to pick you up and drop you off when I have the time."

Aria glared at me, "You don't have to do that." Though it was a glare, it didn't quite hide her appreciation.

"Older brother privilege," I gently patted her head and like that we arrived at the bus stop. It was only a five-minute walk from home, but we didn't live in the most decent area and passed several alleys. Our suburb was relatively close to the city and built up with quite a few cheaper apartment blocks, one of which we lived in. If it was just that I wouldn't be so protective. Right now, Aria was exactly how she looked. A high school girl and, mind my bragging, but a pretty one to boot. She didn't have martial training or magic to defend herself. My memory clicked back in time to what now be the future. A stalking incident that didn't end well. Aria didn't leave home for a month after. Back then I could do nothing. As I was now, I could do something.

"Well, the bus is here so go on home. If you keep hanging around with a girl as pretty as me, you'll never get a girlfriend," she joked but at the same time was serious. "And don't come to pick me up! I can get home myself."

The bus slowed to a halt as it came around the corner. Being the early morning, it was a route not many used and only the two of us were present. As the doors opened and Aria waved goodbye, I couldn't help feeling a strange sensation of loss and happiness.

"Aria I'm proud of you," I spoke with a gentle smile.

"W-what are you saying out of nowhere!?" she blushed.

"I always will be too," my smile turned to a grin. "Just thought you should know."

"G-god you need a girlfriend," she turned away and quickly alighted the bus. I didn't miss however the awkward suppressed smile she tried to hide and as the bus drove away she said goodbye by poking out her tongue.

"Ha," I sighed and looked down the street where I came. Packed together buildings on top stores with faded colour signs, the not uncommon pothole and smell of urine as you passed by an alley. As dingy as you could describe it, it was still home. "There's a lot to do." I said to no one and firmed my resolve, what I needed was a plan.

*

I sat back in my room, staring at the contents of my desk. A laptop that was already several years old when I bought it and a hand me down phone from a friend. A stack of notes from various lectures I had attended and a wallet with $20 dollars. Including my own bank, I had a few thousand saved up but not enough to do anything big. I opened my laptop and began to take some notes.