Chapter 18: More than just friends. (Part 1)

Chapter 19: More than just friends.

Areithia online did not lack complaints from players. Whether it be unbalanced skills, annoyance at quests or quality of life improvements, there was a lot to talk about. Some things were fixed and changed as the game grew, some things were not. Gate travel was one of them.

I felt the familiar assault to my senses as the shining light of the gate faded back to normal. The scenery had changed. Though it was a similar chamber the walling had become rugged stone and the guards all a foot shorter. The most exceptional change however were the masses of players reeling.

"Oh god," a player threw up.

"Dude gross!" another complained.

"I didn't even know we could throw up, bleugh."

It wasn't a pretty sight and the staff of the Gate quickly went to work cleaning up the mess and ushering players off the Gate to prepare the next jump. They were all very used to it. I was relatively fine, my mind already used to the shifting senses a jump bought about. Although players continued to complain about the somewhat traumatising experience of Gate jumping, it was never changed. It was to keep up an authentic experience, or so the developers said. For some players they hated the experience so much they ended up stranded and it was only later when by asking particular NPCs you could learn of a potion which would reduce the Gate's effect. It was definitely an authentic experience.

I followed the staff out the exit that led to the city of Dumar. What followed was the sight of something you could never see on Earth. An underground city. Not a small village but a city that could rival any other. The Gate house was positioned on the southern end of the city raised against the rock wall that encompassed everything. Dumar the city of passionate work. It stretched out in a rough circular shape. The buildings rugged and blocked together made from the same stone it stood upon. What differed however was the colours that swept through the city. Stone on stone but through carvings and colour, it gave life to what lacked it. Vibrant buildings that showed themselves, banners and lights strung between the streets and alleys. Crystal clear waterways filled with fish that reflected the city's state. All of it kept alight by an immense shining crystal that nestled high in the city's ceiling. It's fragments dotting the rocky walls like stars.

Then there were the people themselves. The dwarves of the labyrinth. Short and stout, their bodies naturally strong, they dressed themselves according to their working role. Each however decorated to match the city's vibrant life. Whether it was a guard, kitchenhand or merchant, they chose what to wear and wore it well. Dwarves were, for the most part, a society built upon their work. Their jobs were tied to the very names they called upon, also known as their Keepsname.

I breathed in the city air. It was fresh despite the enclosed space it dwelled in. I had been to Dumar after the Merge previously. Though it was only for the week, experiencing the city for real had been a highlight of my life. It had been my plan to return one day. To show Aria and Dad a place like no other. After the Fall that wasn't possible. The Gate fell to the Rift Walkers and Dumar could only be accessed by traversing the labyrinth itself. In the real world its entrance became part of the Grand Canyon. Even then it wasn't safe. The city of Dumar fell not long after Zen's defeat.

"Welcome to Dumar, the city of passionate work!" the sudden voice snapped me from my thoughts. A female dwarf dressed in a fine black tailed suit stood before us who had just exited the gate. Compared to their male counterparts, female dwarves were less stocky but actually a slight bit taller. The biggest difference however was their lack of facial hair. What they lost on their face and body however they made up for on their heads. Thick black mats of hair, tied back and well-kept with a polished sheen adorned the female dwarf's scalp. It was a work of art in itself.