Chapter 19: Awkward. (Part 1)

Chapter 19: Awkward.

2 years, 7 months after the Fall:

"Damn it," Shin punched the wall creating a fist sized hole in the wall. "First Zen and the Washington Dungeon falls and now Dumar as well. I disliked their pickiness but some of the best craftsman I ever knew lived there."

We were all in rough mood. Since Washington fell, the day Zen passed from this world as its protector, it felt like we had only been hearing bad news after bad news.

"Ardy, did the other leaders say anything?" Aria asked looking at me concerned.

"They said a lot," I sighed. "The problem is we can't get a clear consensus. We're a small dungeon and our biggest redeeming point is you Aria. So far we've been safe here but with everything that's going on, the fear we managed to settle is returning. I'll be honest, we've had requests to merge with other dungeons."

Vanter scowled, "The only reason they want that is to get Aria."

"I'm not going anywhere," Aria grit her teeth, her rising emotions caused the mana in the air to tingle with visible energy. "Not unless we can all be guaranteed."

"That's the issue," I folded my arms. "Very few people in this world can face a rank 10 Riftwalker and Aria, you're one of them. We're getting offers from big places. As long as you'd join them they'd relocate all of us."

Ana, who leant on the wall beside us huffed, "So they say. We all know what happened last time we trusted arseholes from a so called 'world class' dungeon. They're more likely to use us as hostages and force Aria to fight for them."

"And there is the root of the problem," I gestured annoyed. "Some of the other leaders want to trust them, the rest of us know we can't trust them. We've seen that people can be just as bad if not worse than the Rift Walkers."

Vanter nodded solemnly, "The moment we tell them where we really are, they're more likely to raid us."

"So what do we do?" Aria asked, pleading for an answer I couldn't give.

"We wait... and hope for a better answer," it was all I could say.

Shin swore beneath his breath, "Let's hope an answer comes soon, before we and everyone else ends up like Dumar."

**

The truck to move the last of our furniture was arriving in less than an hour. Despite that fact, the four of us in the apartment sat at our small dining table. Several slices of toast were set in the middle, beside it half a box of cereal and lastly, the remaining milk we had. So far none of us had pointed out the elephant in the room. The elephant being Zen and my father. Dad looked relatively fine. He mostly remained his gentle and calm self, he however could not escape my sharp eyes as his guise broke when looking at Zen and us. Zen was much easier to tell as she fidgeted, waiting for the big conversation to happen. Aria was in an incredibly good mood. Myself, though I had made peace with it, there was no doubt I found it awkward.

Finally, it was time and Dad began, "Zen told me that you two came home late last night... she also informed me you noticed particularly things."

Aria and I both nodded.

"We planned to speak with you about our relationship when it was more concrete...."

"It's my fault," Zen burst in flustered. "I am... I was the one who put moves on your Dad."

Dad looked at her with a shockingly loving calm, "Zen it's fine. You weren't the only one who felt something. I was just better at ignoring it."