Chapter 11: Changes (Part 1)

Chapter 11: Changes

6 months after the Fall:

"What do you mean our defences are all failing?" the Commander screamed. The war room was a flurry of activity as screens displaying the various parts of the dungeon were rife with danger. "We've faced worse easily."

"I-I don't know Commander. We've lost communications! It looks like our people just can't fight back," the analyst beside me answered.

"Someone tell me what's going on!" the Commander shouted again but no one could answer. "This is the Great Dungeon of Crysis. We cannot fall!"

He was right. There were hundreds of thousands of people living in this one dungeon. It was the fortified might of the city of Crysis in one place. When the Fall struck the Earth, conquered dungeons like it had become bastions for the people. For the past two months we had finally found a place to recuperate, but now things were looking bleak once again, just as we began making ground.

"Get every able hand out on defence. More Rift Walkers will be in bound soon. Do it now people!" the Commander ordered and the war room burst into further actions as messages were sent in any way possible.

It was then that we felt it in the room. A wave of energy passed through us and as it reached me, I felt my stomach churn. Half the room hit the ground, me included as suddenly my strength seemed to vanish. It was clear who had fallen, the non-Areithians. My vision almost blacked out but I managed to push through as someone grabbed stabilised my body.

"I've got you," Vanter held me up. "You alright?"

"I-I feel like shit," I told the truth.

"Mr Friend, report!" the Commander targeted me who seemed the best for ware.

"One moment," I closed my eyes, probing my body for what had just happened. I realised almost instantly, my eyes wide. "I can't feel the System." Ever since the Merge, humans from Earth were supported by Areithia Online's system. While many features had vanished, a lot had remained. Our skills, stats and means of collaboration were all guided by the System. Without it humanity would have been overpowered by the monsters appearing from the Merge. Now however it was gone.

The Commander grit his teeth, "Shit, why now!? Is everyone effected?"

A dwarven analyst responded, "It looks like it Sir. All our players are close to incapacitation. Those that have responded are reporting the same. They can't use their skills. Their dying in droves!"

"Order the retreat!" the Commander made up his mind. Half our fighting force had been players. The Great Dungeon of Crysis could sustain many people, but it also meant it had many entrances all over the city. We couldn't defend them all. "Soon more Rift Walkers will be on our doorstep. Get the people to safety using the back corridors. Those who can fight delay the Rift Walkers. We've planned for this people. Let's get it done!"

"Ardent, can you stand?" Vanter eyed me concerned.

"I think I'm fine now," I breathed out, the nausea that had plagued me faded. I held out my hand a spark of flame ignited. Thankfully since the Merge I had tried not to rely fully on the system, now it was paying dividends. "We need to find our sisters and get out of here. The more people we can save the better."

"Right on," he pushed my back. "I'll be with you."

"Thanks." I picked up my communication device and sent a message to all who could receive it. "This is Ardent Friend, Squad Leader of section 21. We are to evacuate. Please head to the designated zone." I set the message to repeat and together with Vanter ran from the War Room. The Commander said his goodbyes through a stern nod. He would die with the dungeon.