Chapter 16: Best Friend (Part 2)

As our two sisters re-joined the line for some crepes, Vanter and I sat at a far off table, away from any potential eavesdroppers. For a moment the two of us said nothing, instead we watched Endi and Aria begin to talk. Endi was quite shy but quickly warmed up to Aria whose positive energy was contagious.

"It's nice seeing those two together again," Vanter smiled.

"It really is," I smiled as well. "It's also good to see you again."

"It really is," he laughed. "Though I guess now we need to have a serious conversation."

It was my turn to laugh, "You were never good at serious, so let's keep this as casual as we can." My smile faded, "So when did you remember?"

Vanter leaned back in his seat, "Only a few weeks ago, it was because of you actually."

"Me?"

"Well mostly. It was actually Crozen who started my brain churning." He folded his arms, "As you know before the Merge I wasn't really part of the Areithia Online project. I still kept tabs on the big things though. One of those big things just happened to be the tournament and specifically you."

"Me again?"

He nodded, "You're getting more attention than you probably realise from Areithia. You have that black card right? It's what we're using on our side to track people who could sympathise with us. You also have three stamps on that card that no other person has. The moment you signed up for the preliminaries our side was watching you."

"I'm going to take that as a good thing," I said positively.

"You definitely should. Without it you would never have made it to the actual tournament."

"Really?"

"Yep. You fought Ori in the preliminary."

"Who is actually Ana," I nodded.

"Yes. By the way, don't be alarmed but she's actually watching us from the shop over there."

I tried not to react as I spied the way Vanter gestured. She was barely in sight, and if Vanter hadn't pointed her out I would never have realised. I was familiar however with how she was acting, "Is she your guard?"

"Something like that."

"Since when did you need a guard?" I looked at him perplexed.

"It was the only way I could cross worlds."

"Which we'll get too soon."

"Yes," he nodded and gestured to get back to his original point. "Anyway, the only reason you fought Ori, who is Ana, in the preliminary was because they were testing you. Thing is, you left..., which now I think about it, why was that?"

"Let's just stay on track."

"Right. Ori- or Ana, then purposefully lost the fight and won the next. This was the only way to get you into the tournament legitimately."

"So that's what happened," I finally fully understood why Ana had given me the win. "Then you and Crozen?"

"Yes, Crozen. As soon as I saw him I didn't know why at the time, but he annoyed and frustrated me. It was pretty weird considering I didn't know the guy and then when you won the tournament by beating him, I was overjoyed. It wasn't just that Crozen lost but that you specifically beat him. At that moment it all came rushing in and for a while I lost consciousness. When I woke, I remembered everything...."