039

The next evening arrived with the promise of grandeur and celebration

The next evening arrived with the promise of grandeur and celebration. The end-of-war banquet was set to be a magnificent affair, and Jennie knew she had to look her best, especially with the impending official announcement of her engagement to Jungkook.

Although they had both agreed to the arrangement, it quickly became apparent just how awkward they truly were with each other when put in a situation that demanded public displays of affection.

Lisa had left earlier in the evening, as she would be attending the banquet in her capacity as a diplomat.

Jennie found herself rushing through the final details of a meeting with the local council, her mind already half-immersed in the evening's events.

"Thank you for your patience, Lord Edric. Please ensure the plans for the new irrigation systems are reviewed by the end of the month," Jennie said, her voice steady despite her internal rush. The council members nodded, standing as they prepared to leave.

As soon as the door closed behind them, Jennie exhaled deeply and turned to her attendants. "We need to hurry."

Her maids had already laid out her attire for the evening. She quickly changed, the silk fabric sliding over her skin as her maids fussed with her hair and makeup.

Descending the grand staircase of the Asteria palace, Jennie caught sight of her reflection in a large, ornate mirror. She wore a stunning blue ballgown that was equal parts elegant, beautiful, and sexy.

The dress clung to her figure perfectly, with intricate beading that sparkled under the chandelier's light. Her hair was styled in loose waves, and she wore minimal makeup, allowing her natural beauty to shine through.

At the bottom of the stairs, Jungkook waited in a matching blue suit and coat. He looked handsome and regal, yet there was an undeniable tension in the air between them. Something just felt off.

Just like most things between them, something always prevented them from being a perfect match.

"Took you long enough," Jungkook said, his tone betraying the teasing smile he bore as Jennie rolled her eyes.

"Don't be a pain, Cassian," Jennie rolled her eyes, fixing the collar of his coat with one hand before walking past him.

"Are you nervous about the announcement?" Jungkook asked, trying to fill the silence as they walked to their waiting carriage.

"A little," Jennie admitted. "It's a big step, and I just hope everything goes smoothly."

"It will. We've been through worse, haven't we?" Jungkook chuckled, holding himself from doing his trademark move of running his hand through his hair.

Jennie smiled, appreciating his attempt to lighten the mood. "Yes, we have."

As the carriage made its way to the banquet, adorned in golden decorations, Jennie couldn't help but feel a sense of dread. The ballroom was packed with nobles, dignitaries, and foreign diplomats, all knowing of their impending official signage of their engagement.