6

*Sonic's POV *
"He's immortal?!" Shadow snapped and punched a wall roughly, leaving a fresh new hole. Thankfully, he was at his house and not at Rouges. "He has the emerald now!" He growled even louder and rubbed his face clearly mad at himself.

"Return is required." Metal said lowly as we both sat on the branch of a tree as we looked inside Shadow's house where everyone had gathered after the fight. I put my finger against my lips to be quiet.

"I know. We need to give the emerald to Eggman."

"He will not release you." He said making me lower my ears slightly then look back down at my hands. The gloves were impossible to take off, I had tried everything. I knew Eggman was never going to uphold his end of the deal but there was nothing else I could do.

"I know." I whispered. "I'll find a way." I was swinging my legs as I watched as Rouge tried to calm down Shadow. He was furious. I couldn't blame him, so was I. All I wanted was a break, I wanted for someone to understand how I felt, I wanted everyone to leave me alone and now look at what I got myself into.

Metal looked down at my legs as he tilted his head lightly. He then proceeded to copy me and swung his legs just like I was. I chuckled softly at that and continued trying to hear what they were saying.

"Shadow. You need to rest!" Tails got in the way making my ears pinned down. I shook my head then stood up.

"We should go now." I said as I jumped down and waited for Metal who was quick to land beside me.

"He will terminate you now." Metal said to me as we both started walking towards Eggmans secret base. It was no wonder we never found it, he had built it underground this time.

"I don't think he can do that anymore." I said. I didn't want this. I didn't want to be this way, it made me feel even worse than I had been before.

For some reason though, I was comfortable talking to Metal. I felt like he understood me, felt like he actually listened and cared. I couldn't say my former friends weren't like that though, they did care, I knew they did, it was I that was not able to open up and tell them how I felt. Or maybe I could?

I always felt like the only reason they even were around me was because I was able to fight off Eggman. I was able to help them and keep them safe but that's the thing, who'll keep me safe? I know I couldn't blame Tails, he had always been there for me and tried his best to make sure I was healthy and my wounds would heal as much as possible but who wants to live that life when you can't sleep without being attacked, you can eat without being bothered, you can't walk or run without being stopped saying everyone relies on you and only you.

Tails was the only one who ever truly cared at me, but I couldn't bring him down this path. I was not going to. Anyways, now, I felt exactly how Shadow felt. I didn't want to be attached to anyone.

Another thing about the hero, sometimes you have to chose between everybody else or your loved one. The path I was taking had caused me to lose so many people, had caused so much pain and suffer. But knowing now that I was always going to lose everyone around me, I knew not to get attached anymore.

Metal was the one who was there when I woke up and told me what Eggman had done to me. It's why I let Shadow shoot me, it's why I told Metal to not attack and see if it was true, if I would get back up. It hadn't been fair for me to do that to Metal either but he knew just as well how I felt.

He had heard me rant and spill out every single thing that was bothering, somehow talking to Metal helped me realize how stupid I had been acting but it was too late now. There was no way of turning back what I had done, and deep down, I didn't want to anyways.

It was about time someone else took my place, about time someone realize how painful that line of work can be.

"Give me the emerald and stay back. I don't want Eggman to hurt you." I said to Metal who stayed quiet and still for a moment but soon nodded and left me go talk to Eggman alone.

Metal was misunderstood, he was just as tired as me but Eggman had a grip on him, he could control him to do what he wanted. I wasn't as smart as Tails but I was trying to work on something to break Eggmans control on him. It was taking me quite long.

"I got it." I said as I walked in.

Eggman had made me immortal, because he didn't know it was going to work. He was testing it on me before using it on him. He wanted me to report any accidents so he could make sure it worked. Maybe he would try to kill me next and see if the formula worked. I don't know. I couldn't let him use it on himself.

He said another reason he used it on me was to make sure I would stay alive for me to uphold my end of the deal. I wanted to kill him but if I got too close, I would instantly feel the pain. He had now also made sure I wouldn't kill him by implanting a device in my ear, it would emitate a loud high pitch noise. I didn't know if it was true, but I didn't want to test it.

"Now set me free, Eggman." I clenched my fists.

"Oh but we aren't done yet." Eggman smirked. "I need the other emeralds now. The ones your friends have."