33

*Sonic's POV *
"W-what did you just say?" I stuttered and took a step back, my brain finally taking in the words and repeating them over and over again.

Shadow rubbed his face roughly, then took in a deep breath. "Nothing." He answered, his voice low, calming.

"No. No. You said you like me." I said, but Shadow turned around, giving me his back. "Shadow." I called him, but he shook his head.

"I said nothing." He repeated.

"Are you sure?" I asked, but when he didn't answer and the silence was taking over, I decided to give in. "Okay." I said calmly and cleaned my tears.

That's one heck of a way to snap me out of a fight.

"Maybe you should go." I said lowly, still keeping distance between us.

"Yeah." He agreed and took one step before he stopped again. I looked in his direction and saw him turn to face me, but he stopped himself again, and chaos controlled away.

I fell to the floor instantly on my knees as I felt my heart pounding and beating rapidly. "Because I like you, you idiot." The words kept replaying in my head over and over again. I finally snapped out of it when Metal walked closer.

"You are in a problematic situation." He said as he handed me the first aid kit and helped me bandage my wounds while they healed.

"What do you mean?"

"You also have feelings for him." He explained, making me freeze.

Another week passed before I saw him again. Everyone had gathered around at Tails house for his 20th birthday. Knuckles and Mighty were outside getting the grill ready. Amy, Rouge, and Blaze were decorating the place. I was sitting in the living room with Tails, Silver, and Mephiles. Shadow hadn't arrived yet, which was why I was so calm.

"So you two are friends now?" Tails asked Silver, who sat beside Mephiles.

"Yes. Well." Silver started, then started bouncing his foot against the couch. A nervous habit. "Trying at least, but he won't stop glaring at me. Or scaring me by raising his hands at me, he stops before he hurts me but still scary."

"I get that. Shadow was like that too, but -" I was interrupted.

"Are you talking bad about me?" I tensed when I heard Shadow say from behind me. I turned around as I stood up and saw him standing behind the couch as he had just walked inside the house.

"H-Hey!" I stuttered. Why did I stutter? More importantly, why did I stand up when I saw him? "You're here. We thought you were not going to show up."

Shadow looked at me a bit longer than usual, then scoffed and walked outside looking for Rouge. I sat back down and rubbed my face.

"It looks to me you haven't made the progress you think you have." Mephiles finally spoke up. I quickly looked at him and threw a cushion at his face.

He did NOT take that well because he stood up growling and was about to punch me when Shadow suddenly stopped him. My ears perked up at seeing Shadow grabbing Mephiles wrist and shoving him away from me.

"Whoa! Hey!" I got back up again as Silver and I got between them. "Calm down! Relax!" I pushed Shadow back slowly as Silver did the same with Mephiles.

Everyone else had gathered around when they heard the commotion and were watching. Tails had jumped behind the couch but was holding onto a gun he now carried at his waist for his missions.

"Everything is fine!" Silver said to everyone as they all walked to do what they were doing before.

I knew Mephiles and Shadow didn't get along, but I hope they learned to do so now. I looked up at Shadow, who was still glaring at Mephiles, and looked back at him to see he was doing the same thing.

"Stop that." I said to Shadow as I moved him further back. Shadow looked down at my hands and saw they rested by his chest fur. Then he looked up at me and raised a brow.

"You're touching me." He said, and I quickly moved my hands away.

"Sorry. I needed to stop you before you two got into a fight." I was feeling a bit nervous being around him. I knew I had feelings towards him as well, but saying them out loud was different. Shadow only said it because he was mad, and it just happened. I couldn't do that.

Did we need to fight again so I can have my moment? No, that's stupid.

"He tried to hurt you." He took a step back, creating some distance between us. "I don't trust him."

"You have to. He's trying to be part of the team, too. You have to learn to get along. Plus, he didn't hurt me, I am not sure if he would have, but it was my fault anyway for throwing the cushion at him." I explained. "You were patient with me. You should do the same for him."

"Sonic. Mephiles has something to say." Silver said, making me turn around to look at him.

"I'm sorry. I am still trying to get used to all of the friendliness around here." Mephiles said, but he had his arms crossed and was looking away.

"Mean it." Shadow said from behind me, making me drop my ears.

"Shut up." I said harshly to Shadow, then nodded at Mephiles.

"It's okay. I shouldn't have thrown the cushion at you." I apologized as well.

Mephiles left outside after that. Silver and I sighed in relief that this didn't escalate. "Thank you, Sonic. He really is changing, I promise. Just give him more time."

"I don't care as long as he doesn't hurt the others, Silver." I said honestly. "Just keep an eye on him." Silver nodded and went after Mephiles. I noticed we were now alone as Tails and everyone else was outside with the grill and decorations.

Shadow suddenly grabbed my wrist and turned me around , and looked down at my hands. I tensed up instantly, but I didn't pull away, I knew what he was doing.

"I didn't. I won't again. I'm sorry I worried you yesterday." My words didn't seem to reach Shadow as he kept examining my arms. There were still light traces of the cuts I caused myself, and he rubbed a finger over them ever so slightly.

My ears dropped at seeing Shadow acting this way towards me. I knew he meant what he said that day, and it seemed that the time we had apart since then made him act softer towards me. Was he waiting for a response?

"I go crazy thinking you hurt yourself again." He said, the same words he said that day.

"Why do you care so much?" I asked again, lost in the moment as Shadow and I looked into each other's eyes.

"I like you, you idiot." He repeated, and this time, I answered back.

"I like you too."  A small blush appeared across my muzzle as he held my hand, I could see sparks in his eyes when I said those words.

"Food is almost ready!" Shadow let go of my hand instantly when a door opened and Rouge walked in. We both took a step away from each other.

"Nice!" I said, snapping out of our moment. "Let's go eat." I smiled happily as I walked out with Rouge.

Suddenly, my world had color again.