39

*Shadow's POV *
"Just keep your communicator on you at all times." Tails said as he put one on me. "You'll be without a phone until I can trace where they sent you the messages from." I was currently in his office, sitting down on the floor because Amy took the chair.

I hadn't used a communicator since Metal attacked me, I figured I didn't need one anymore since I was not going to go back to fighting. That didn't last very long. I missed it, though. I missed the adventure and the adrenaline it gave me. But I also didn't want to continue being 'the hero'.

"How long do you think it will take?" I asked as I closed my eyes and rested my head back against the wall. Shadow and Rouge had stayed behind in Shadow's office. So it was just Tails, Amy, Knuckles, and I here.

"Hopefully not too long." Tails said as he sat down behind his desk.

"How have you guys been doing? Strange going on missions instead of fighting Eggman?" I asked the room. They stayed quiet for a bit longer than usual, so I opened my eyes to see the 3 of them sharing a look. "What?" I asked as I sat up straight.

"Nothing." Amy said too quickly.

"No. What is it?" I asked again, this time standing up. Knuckles looked at Tails, shaking his head. "Damn it! I'm tired of you all not talking to me! What the hell is going on?!" I raised my voice.

"Sonic. Relax." Tails said while standing up. "We've been good. Missions are different, but we've done it before, so we are good." He answered, but I knew he wasn't telling me something. The fact that they reacted this way after I said Eggmans name was beginning to worry me.

"Yeah, we just don't think you should worry much about it." Amy said. Wrong. Wrong thing to say.

I growled and walked out of the office without saying anything. Was he alive? That's impossible. Metal and I saw his body.

But.

My family also saw my body when G.U.N. said I was dead. They'd used a fake me so they wouldn't be suspicious. Is it possible that the same happened with Eggman? They had been waiting outside for Metal, and I after all. No. It's impossible.

I clenched my fists and walked to Shadow's office. Rouge getting startled when I slammed the door open, Shadow simply getting annoyed, then confused when he saw how mad I was.

*Shadow's POV *
I was about to get mad at him because he knocked over some stuff that was behind the door. That is until I saw how furious he looked. He walked closer to us, growling, and he looked hurt as well.

"He's alive, isn't he?" He asked instantly.

"He is." I said. There's no point in keeping it a secret anymore.

Sonic took a step back. "Why didn't you tell me?!" He raised his voice at me. It kind of hurt.

"Hun, we just didn't want you to worry about it." Wrong thing to say, Bat.

"When will everyone stop-" He glared at Rouge, making me stand up.

"That's enough." I walked to Sonic and made him sit down on the chair. I crouched down to be at his level. "We just found out a few days ago. I wanted to tell you but there was a lot going on." I explained, thankful it was just Rouge here.

Sonic calmed down a bit but was still furious. "I am tired of everyone treating me like a kid."

"I know. I'm not trying to do that, hedgehog. But you were already hurting yourself. If I had told you, it would have only made things worse." Rouge left, closing the door behind her to give us some privacy. I was finally able to relax a bit. "I didn't want you hurting yourself again."

He dropped his ears and then nodded. "It hurts that you didn't tell me. You're supposed to tell me these things."

"I just told you why I didn't tell you. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. You don't want to fight anymore."

"I don't want to be a hero anymore." He stated. "I can fight for my own reasons. Especially for revenge. After what he did? How could I stay at home as if nothing had happened? It's not like he is going to leave me alone. He's going to come back for me."

"I'm not letting him." I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed, knowing I would now have to stay by his side all the time. Sonic is reckless and does things without thinking. If I let him out of my sight, he'd get in so much trouble the second -

Where did he go?

I stood up and turned around when I saw he wasn't on the chair. He was at my desk now, going through my computer. "Hey!" I stood up quickly and walked over to him.

"You should change your password." He said as he sat on my chair. "It was easy to crack." I crossed my arms, I was confused. Since when did he know how to do this? "I was bored when I was staying at Eggmans, Metal taught me a few things and still has even after we escaped."

"What are you doing?" I asked, confused as I leaned forward.

"Trying to find something." He said, stopping at each word, trying to concentrate. "Bingo!" He smiled brightly, very proud of himself. "There he is." The screen showed a map, a single red dot in the middle of it. It looked like an island.

"What am I looking at?" I asked.

"Eggmans location." He said proudly.

"What?" I got closer, looking straight at the computer, my hand resting on the edge of my desk for support.

"I tracked the machine that powers his lab. Easy enough." He clapped his hands and got up, then kissed my muzzle, sending shivers down my spine. "I'll get going then."

I nearly fell off when he did that, I was taken off guard. I put a hand against it, then snapped out of it when Sonic was about to run away. I grabbed his wrist, but he dragged me a few feet, this time actually making me fall, on top of him.

"Shadow, we are -" The door to my office opened, I looked up to see Silver and Mephiles standing there. Sonic groaned under me, and I quickly looked back down. They closed the door again without saying more, Mephiles losing it and started laughing loudly outside. First time I've heard him laugh, and I already wanted to rip off his head.

"Get back in here!" I snapped as I got up and helped Sonic up.

"And here I was betting that the rumors were fake." Mephiles said as he took out a bill and paid Silver.

"I saw the pictures online." Silver said, making Mephiles take the money back.

"Cheater." He mumbled, making him laugh.

"You're back." Sonic smiled as he hugged Silver. My ear twitching at that, but I couldn't help and notice that Mephiles did too.

"Yeah, just got back. We were going to report back to Shadow, but we just wasn't expecting -" He stopped. "Whatever we walked in on."

"Nothing. We fell." I scoffed. 

"Right." Mephiles said as he walked over to Silver, Sonic still had an arm around Silver, which I guess was making him jealous. 

"Any problems?" I asked, and they shoon their heads.

"No problems whatsoever. We accomplished the mission. You were right. We do make a good team." Silver said as they finally let go, I grabbed Sonics' hand and pulled him closer. "When he isn't trying to kill me."

"I'm sure he won't be doing that anymore." I hummed, Mephiles glaring at me and Sonics ears going up instantly. He finally got it.

"Oh!" He shouted before he could stop himself. Quickly waving his hands when Silver asked what was wrong. "Nothing. Nothing."