30

*Sonic's POV *
"So that's why you wanted me to come so badly." I said as I walked to Shadow once we were off the stage.

Shadow simply nodded and remained silent as Rouge talked for him. "We know you may not like stuff like this for you but we all thought it would be a good way to show you how much we appreciate everything you've done for us and to remind everyone else all the good you've done."

"Are you still stuck on not joining?" Tails said as he walked to us as well.

"It's time you showed them what you have without me." I said as I patted Tails head making me chuckle since he was already getting taller than me.

I couldn't help but look back at time, we were all so young when this started, now we didn't have time worry about Eggman or even the commander but that didn't mean the job was done. Someday I would have to join, someday they won't be able to continue but I will and will probably have to form a new team along with Shadow, but for now I will remain in the side lines and watch.

"Will you be there?" Tails asked, I could see his hands trembling, I knew why.

I grabbed his hands and gave him a big smile as he looked up at me. "Even if I am not standing by your side, buddy, know I am there and I'll be waiting to celebrate each victory."

Tails had never been alone before, it's always been me and him. Seeing him take these next steps without me was scary but I was very proud of him. Now that Shadow and Rouge were the bosses of this place, and I had stepped down, Tails would become the leader of their team when they would eventually go on missions. I knew Tails was strong and very well ready for this, I was just afraid that he'd follow my footsteps so I will do anything to prevent that.

Tails held in a sob and quickly hugged me. I hugged back and rubbed his back gently as we both remained silent.

The rest of the day I spent talking with my family. We came to an agreement that Sonia will take the throne and I would eventually take it if Sonia didn't have any kids in the future. I was to train the future guards in the future and be there as an advisor for whoever took the throne if not me. I was okay with this, very well okay with this. Manic got his freedom like he wanted and had just announced he was going to move in with Scourge.

I hated the idea of that because I knew just well how Scourge was. But Manic reassured me that he was fine and knew how to keep Scourge under control. My family and I were back on good terms finally and I was no longer afraid of seeing them again.

It was everyone else I was still scared of. Even if the civilians had calmed down after my mother's speech, there were still some out there that were not pleased by this. The statue was a huge reminder to some about all the heroic things I did for them and a huge reminder to others about how I betrayed them and cost the lives of many.

I looked down at hands as I walked, he gloves may not be there anymore but I still felt as if I would be forced to attack my friends and family again. I felt as if I couldn't trust myself and now that I look and see all the new agents and my friends walking in to their new future without me, I felt lost.

I felt so lost and confused and hurt. I know it was no one's fault but my own, everything I did was my own fault. I still refuse and will continue to refuse to join them, I knew I didn't want that life for now. But there was still something that just didn't feel right, something that hurt me deep down and I was not sure what it could be. Would it ever go away?

*Shadow's POV *
"What are you doing here?" I asked as I looked up from my desk to see Sonic standing at my door.

"Nice office. Isn't it weird not sharing one with Rouge now?" He asked and sat down in front of me, on the chair in front of my desk.

"No." I flatly answered then put my pen down as I waited for him to answer my question.

"I just finished talking to my family. Everything is good, better actually." He messed with his gloves as he talked. He stayed quiet for a while then finally spoke up again. "Why do I still feel like this?" I raised a brow and froze when I realized he was crying.

I was about to stand up to walk to him but stopped myself when I realized what I was about to do. This hedgehog had a tight grip on me now and I didn't like it.

"I just feel sad all the time. Hurt. Like everything is wrong." He cleaned his tears then put up a fake smile making me growl. I grabbed my eraser and threw it at him, hitting him in the forehead.

"Stop smiling." I said making him choke back his words. "Stop smiling if that's not how you feel, idiot. Stop faking."

"I-Im sorry. I'm just used to it, I guess." I crossed my arms and rested back on my chair as I tried to think of what to say.

"You've always been a hero, Faker." I grabbed my pen and continued working on assigning the new agents to certain missions. "Your life revolved around that. Now things have changed. You need to find your ground and see what actually makes you happy."

Sonic remained quiet for a bit, but I didn't look up to see his reaction. I was already behind on my work and it was just the first day here. "You kept faking who you were, now you have the opportunity to actually explore that. Do it."

I heard him stand up then I heard footsteps as I finally looked up and watched as he left my office without saying anything else.