Last Chapter

*Shadow's POV*
It was day 4, and Sonic had not woken up yet. I had finally gotten used to Metal, even taught him how to properly cook a meal. Sonic wounds had healed, and he even got a heartbeat again, which calmed us down, but he hadn't woken up yet. I had not gone to work and tried to stay beside Sonic as much as I could.

I could tell Metal was just trying to keep me distracted, but it the harder he tried, the more I got in my head that maybe he knew Sonic wouldn't be waking up again.

I need him to wake up. I finally had someone I had finally opened up, I was happy, and I lost it all because I couldn't tell him I didn't want him to go. I couldn't be soft for once in front of others and tell him I was worried. I had no problems kissing him or holding his hand in front of others. In fact, I did it on purpose so everyone knew we were together. Mainly because I knew I would never be able to say it out loud unless someone pissed me off. Like at the theater.

I could show him off, and I was even proud of being with him. There was no doubt about that. But I could not make myself say things like that, especially in front of others. I should have still said it. I should have told him.

"Shadow. Look." Metal said as he pointed at Sonics' hand, which was moving. His hand slowly traveled to his face as Sonic finally opened his eyes.

"Ha." I let out a breath of relief as I smiled and helped Sonic sit up slowly and carefully. He may have had 2 emeralds to help him, but I knew he also used his own energy to heal. "Why am I always holding my breath when im around you?" I muttered.

"Is my presence too enchanting to handle, Shadz?" He said in a whisper. I chuckled and hugged him. He hugged back and rested his head on the crook of my neck.

"It's been 4 days, Sonic." I said softly.

*Sonic's POV*
His voice broke when he said that. I was surprised and hurt at hearing him, I rubbed his back and pulled away, then kissed his muzzle.

"Hey. Come on. I told you you weren't going to lose me. Look at me. I'm here, aren't I?" I said as I held his face. He nodded.

"I didn't want you to go." He confessed. "I wanted you to stay, and we attacked as a team. Not you go in as bait. That was stupid. I should have stopped you. I saw you dead again. You died. He killed you."

"I'm not dead. I'm alive. I'm here. Safe with you." I smiled at Shadow then saw Metal at the door holding two plates.

Oh. He cooked. Yay.

"You're safe!" I shouted with a smile as I let go of Shadow but stayed in bed. I was tired still. "What happened with Eggman?" I turned back to look at Shadow.

"He's dead. For sure, this time. Mephiles lost control when we saw you." I slowly nodded.

"And Metal Shadow?" I asked, making him rest back on the bed and closed his eyes.

"I lost control when I saw you." He explained, making me laugh softly. There are fewer things to worry about. I'm grateful. Shadow opened his eyes again when Metal walked closer and gave us the plates of food. "I've been helping Metal with his cooking."

I was a bit surprised at hearing that and looked down at the plate, then took a bite. My ears are going up at the difference. "I'm a better teacher." Shadow said as I laughed.

I finished eating and rested my head on his shoulder. "What's going to happen now?" I asked as I looked down at our hands, Shadow had not let go of me since I woke up. Our fingers intertwined as he rubbed my hand with his thumb.

"Whatever you want." He said calmly as he rested his head on top of mine. "Aleena made sure to let the civilians know that you helped us get rid of Eggman. There's fewer people hating you and Metal now. You'd be able to go out without being harassed now. I talked to the others as well, and they will stop hiding stuff from you. Rose and Knuckles have actually been mad at you this whole time but hadn't said anything being afraid that you'd turn back. Just like Miles before he snapped at you." I looked at Shadow.

"You saw that?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I told him to be honest with you on how you felt." Shadow said honestly. "No one is going to force you to join us, but the door will always be open if you ever want to go back to that life. Of course, I'll be going with you if you're assigned anywhere." I playfully rolled my eyes at that.

"So." I started then stopped and looked up at him. "Thank you for everything you've done for me." I smiled happily. Shadow smiled back and pecked my lips.

Life went on this way. Eventually, I decided to join them and be part of Tails' team. It was strange for once, not being the leader, but it was fun. Some civilians still hated me even after the years passed but with Shadow and the team around, I always felt safe.

Mephiles and Silver had made their relationship public when they turned 6 months, they actually had gotten caught kissing at the park. Rouge and Shadow continued hiring agents and making the world safer than it had ever been now with Eggman and even the commander gone. Shadow was able to open up and even proposed to me 3 years into our relationship with the help of all our friends. 

Now, I was happily married to Shadow. He remained by my side no matter what and never failed to surprise me. Everything had changed. Nothing was the same as when it all started, but it was for the best.

I finally had the life I wanted.

THE END.

********
A/N:
Finally, the end of this story!
What did you guys think? Please let me know in the comments!