14

*Sonic's POV*
I instantly hugged back, holding onto him tightly as he kept me up on my feet. I rested my head on his shoulder as I cried until there were no tears left. Shadow was a bit stiff during the hug, I knew this must be very uncomfortable for him but he still didnt pull away. I sobbed and stayed in his arms for a good while until we both finally let go of each other.

Surprised with the way Shadow had been acting with me, I started to wonder if the apologie he gave me 3 days ago was sincere, did he mean it? Was he really going to try to be nicer? Why?

"You can rest now." He said taking me a bit by surprise. "We have everything under control, we will take care of everything." He took a few steps back, he wasn't looking at me anymore. He looked a bit flustered from breaking down his wall and holding me.

"I'll be locked up immediately." I said to Shadow. "Even my mother can't do anything about this."

"We already took care of that. No civilian will bother you." It was a bit of a surprise to know they were ahead of things for once.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Chaos, Sonic you think we'd let them lock you up? You messed up but you've saved them countless time. Some civilians won't trust you, maybe ever again but I think that's for the best." Shadow shrugged.

Hearing my name come out of his mouth felt strange. I've never heard him say it before, it shouldn't be surprising but with Shadow, it is.

"No matter what happened, they're not taking you again." I kept my ears pinned down as I heard Shadow say that, flashbacks of G.U.N. coming back.

"Whats going to happen with you? They saw you. The commander." He hit the back of my head making me groan.

"Don't worry about that." He said calmly. "Eat." He pointed at the food. "Or I'll leave."

I hesitated but I didn't want Shadow to go so I sat back down on the bed and grabbed the plate of food.

"Things are going to change." He started talking. "I have to somehow get used to having you in my life." He rolled his eyes but it brought a slight small smile to my face as I took a bite of the food. "Eggman is gone so there's less stress on being attacked everyday. That doesn't mean there's no danger out there but we won't rely on you with everything anymore."

I dropped my ears at that. I felt like they'll never trust me again. Why should they?

"That doesn't mean what you think it means, Faker." It was as if he could read my mind. "It just means we will all work on plans together, on getting rid of every threat together. Better than before and not just rely on you for just stupid and reckless plans." He said making me chuckled softly.

"The team won't trust me after what I did." I said while I put the empty plate down.

"Your friends care about you and they trust you, they didn't give up hope that we'd find you and help you."

"They can't possibly still think of me as a friend."

"Do you still think of me as a friend after I shot you in the head?" My ears perked up at that and I slowly nodded. "Then shut up." He scoffed. 

He had a point.

"But I-" He cut me off with a light glare. "You shot me in the head." I changed the subject back to that.

"Sorry." He said. "I am glad you're not dead." I looked at him shocked at his words but he could only roll his eyes at me.

He was really trying to be nicer but him saying he was glad I didn't die was an even bigger step for him.

"Thank you for letting me rant." I said and he nodded. "Hey..." I said again. "What happened to Metal?" I asked concerned.

"G.U.N. dismantled him but Miles is working on bringing him back. I told him how close you two were." That took me by surprise again. Shadow had paid attention that Metal and I had become close friends and even told Tails so he could fix him.

"Thank you." I said and he walked close to me again. "What are you doing?" I asked confused as he then proceeded to kneel in front of me. My ears perked up in pure confusion until I saw him take out a key and unlock the chains at my feet.

"I think I can trust you won't leave now." He said but I stayed quiet. "It's okay if you do leave though. We aren't locking you up or having you as a prisoner. We just needed for your wounds to heal properly." He got back up then grabbed my right hand and unlocked it then did the same to my left hand.

"I healed fast." I said a bit surprised then he pointed at the emerald that was in front of the bed I had been laying down on. "Oh. No wonder." I mumbled as Shadow let go of my hand and walked to the door.

"I'm staying here with Miles for a few days while I take care of things with G.U.N. so I'll come check to see if you're still here in the morning." He said once he stood by the door.

I wasn't looking at him anymore. I was looking in direction to the exit. Should I leave?

I finally had the chance to get some rest, if I leave, my life can be different. It can be freeing if I simply left now.

"Goodnight." Shadow said as he walked out of the lab. I heard the door close then another once he was in the guest room.

I looked down at my wrists and ankles. Nothing was holding me back now.