29

*Sonic's POV *
"So you're starting work already?" I asked Shadow as I sat on his bed while he got ready, he was a bit annoyed that I had showed up at his house this early.

"Are you going to come?" Shadow asked as he walked out of the bathroom.

"Nope." I answered honestly. "My family will be there."

"You're coming with me." Shadow crossed his arms. "It's time you see them."

"What? No." I laid down on his bed, Shadow growling lowly at me since the bed was already made.

"You shouldn't have came then. You're coming with me. You've got no choice. I'm tired of you avoiding them." Shadow continued getting ready as I closed my eyes, hiding my face in one of the pillows.

"I heard last night that you were starting today, is it so bad I wanted to check in on you?" I asked, my voice muffled.

"What?" I heard Shadow ask confused from a distance then footsteps as he got closer. I felt his hand on my quills then he yanked me up and made me look at him. "Stop that. You're messing up my bed." He growled angrily.

I groaned and put my hand on his face making Shadow slap it away with his free hand. I chuckled softly then grabbed a pillow and hit Shadow with it, I guess he was taken by surprise because he lost balance. We both gasped as Shadow fell and he took me down with him.

When I opened my eyes, I noticed Shadow's face was beside mine, both hands next to my face, one hand on top of mine as he was now on top of me. Shadow groaned and slowly moved up, moving his other hand to his forehead as he kept on growling, even more annoyed now. I tensed up as I looked up at Shadow, my hands growing cold and my heart beating faster. Shadow held my hand, interlocking our fingers then moved it away when he realized what he was holding.

Shadow opened his eyes and stopped growling. He looked at me in the eyes then blinked and cleared his throat as he got up. He offered his hand to help me up and I took it.

"I'm sorry. I'll make your bed, I promise." I broke the awkward silence but Shadow ignored me and walked out of his room.

I rubbed the back of my neck nervously and started making his bed quietly. I looked down at my hand as my heart started pounding even more, feeling flustered and strange, I thought Shadow was going to kill me. I decided it was best for me to go back to Tails house.

I made my way to the front door but Shadow stopped me. "You're coming with me." He said from the kitchen as he walked to me with a cup of coffee for me. I took it and slowly drank from it, feeling a but relaxed now that I knew he wasn't mad at me.

"Okay." I gave in, I don't know why.

Shadow and I finished our coffees then went to the door. I assumed he was going to chaos control us there but he insisted on a run, I was confused but agreed anyways.

"Where's Metal?" Shadow asked when he realized he wasn't around.

"I don't know. He goes and comes now, he's living his life but he come back sometimes with dents and all. People hate him as much as they hate me." I sighed. "I wish they'd just give him a chance."

"They'll get used to him soon." He opened the door then locked it after we got out and soon enough we dashed off, I was following Shadow since I wasn't sure where the new building was at.

We were there in less than a minute and I immediately recognized the area. We both stopped in front of our friends who had also going to start working here. I was the only one who kept refusing to do so.

"Sonic!" I tensed up when an arm was suddenly around my neck, resting it on my shoulder but relaxed quickly. Shadow and Tails had been trying to help me with the trauma from G.U.N.

"Mighty? You're here too?" I let him hold onto him but I was uncomfortable.

"Yup. Espio is too, where are you babe?" He looked around. "He always does this."

"You and Espio?" I raised a brow. I knew Mighty had had a crush on him but didn't realize that Espio finally gave him a chance.

"Yes! I swooned him over." He joked as he let go of me once he saw Espio walking to us. He smiled brightly at him and held his hand when Espio reached us. "Isn't that right, babe?" He wrapped an arm around Espios waist, keeping his boyfriend close.

"Hi Sonic." Espio greeted me as he ignored his boyfriend. Espio was more calk and reserved, unlike Mighty.

"Hi." I smiled at them, happy for them. "It's about time you two got together. I'm happy for you two." I said with honesty as I watched Mighty steal a kiss from his boyfriend and Espio turning invisible immediately but I caught him blushing.

I laughed softly and walked to Tails, a lot of our friends were here and I was starting to panic as I also saw civilians gathering around. I still always chose to stay inside, I didn't like the way the civilians treated me. I didn't blame them though, I did cause a lot of suffering and pain to them so I couldn't be mad at them. But I just couldn't bring myself to get out of the house anymore.

"Maurice?" I froze when I heard my mother, her voice breaking making my ears drop. She walked to me and hugged me but I couldn't being myself to hug her back. "I've missed you." She whispered making my heart hurt and finally gave in to the hug.

"I've missed you too." I whispered back. "I-" I stopped myself. "I want to talk to you later. Alone. If that's okay." She pulled away and nodded.

"Of course." She smiled and walked away.

"About time." Shadow said from behind making me turn to look at him.

"Shadow, what am I doing here? I am not going to join." I said and he shook his head.

"We know." Rouge walked up to us, standing beside Shadow. "But we want you to be here Sonic, come upstage with us."

"What? No. Are you crazy?" I took a step back but Rouge grabbed my hand and forced me to go up.

The rest of the team and Shadow walked beside us and I couldn't leave once I was upstage. Civilians started booing at us once they saw me, tarted shouting names and telling me to leave as Aleena started talking.

She went on explaining how G.U.N. happened and how she chose the best agent for this new company. Shadow and Rouge took a few steps forward to meet beside my mother as I stay behind with Tails and the others. I looked down, I was happy for everyone but I just wanted to go home.

"And finally. I want to say that we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for our hero, my son, Sonic the Hedgehog." I looked up shocked when my mother said those words. My world stopped as I saw everyone go silent. "Though our former hero has faced numerous trials, after years of valiant service to the world, who among us would not falter? He endures with steadfast resolve, with the support of his loyal companions and kin." My mother continued on talking about the many times our team and I saved everyone.

"Thus, we dedicate this monument in his honor—a statue to express our profound gratitude for his unwavering service and to remind him that he is forever cherished and never alone."

Everyone gathered around was silent, some had even started cheering but there was no one trying to get me off the stage now. Suddenly what was once covered in a white sheet, standing in front of the new building was now revealed. A statue of me standing tall. My eyes got teary as I saw everyone start to cheer again once it was revealed.